cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noeyedeer
Scholar

Re: Price increase for monthly Cinema pass?

I just saw this and i'm genuinely shocked. I was on a £4 a month offer and i cancelled it, didn't really think it was worth £4. I suppose it depends on what you watch, but for me almost every movie fits into 3 categories. 1) old movies that i already have on blu ray. 2) new releases that i'm buying on blu ray anyway, and 3) stuff i have literally zero interest in watching. 

It's not entirely Sky's fault, pretty much 95% of "big" new movies are a load of rubbish, remakes or superhero movies. There are maybe 10 new movies a year that i actually want to watch and so i usually buy the blu ray when they come out. I have watched the odd old classic that i've somehow never seen and a few lesser known new releases, but there really isn't much choice. 1,000 or 1,500 or whatever it is sounds a lot, but not when you delve into it. Plus nearly all the movies seem to stay the same almost forever. I can dip in on an offer, and pretty much everything is the same from 3 years ago. 

One incredibly irritating thing, is when a new sequel gets put on but they don't have the previous movie/s on there. I don't get that at all. Surely somebody somewhere in Sky Towers thinks... so... this big movie sequel is coming out... we're promoting it... maybe it would be a good idea to put the previous one/s up, for people who haven't seen them, or even just want to watch them again. But nope. 

There are obviously lots of good movies that i just never hear about and Sky just fall into that same trap of promoting the same old stuff like "Iron Man 643: this time it's even more Zincy". I suppose it's what the general public want, somebody must be paying to watch it. Though i'm clearly not the target market, because i wouldn't pay £11.99 whatever movies they had on there. No point having a large collection of blu rays or dvds, then paying good money to watch the same stuff again, in much lower quality. If they had a lot more choice, with easier to find more obscure new releases, i'd chuck in 5 or 6 quid. £11.99, no chance.

The entertainment pass is good enough for me, even if it's even harder to find stuff. Bung Gold on during the day as background noise, until the Last of the Summer Wine theme tune scares me off. A bit of "it's gone a bit crap these last 15 years or so" Simpsons. Catch up with The Good Doctor and all those "a bit boring, but amusing enough" time-fillers with Romesh, Russell Howard and the rest. Then find a documentary about some bloke who chopped up all his friends and hid their toes in his freezer. Jobs a good 'un.

ukbobboy
Champion

Well Forum Members

I think that £11.99 per month for the cinema pass is too steep for my blood, especially as I do not watch as many films as I used to, in other words its just not worth it.

So, by the end of this week, I plan to cancel my cinema pass.

UK Bob 

ClockEnd
Expert 2

These days I tend to rent new movies at 90p from Chili or £1.99 from Amazon, so whenever there is a new premiere on Sky I have often already watched it. And I spend less than £10/month on new films.

Cancelled Cinema at start of year and have a voucher sitting waiting to be used. Will probably wait until school summer holidays.

But compared to Amazon and Netflix, £11.99 is poor value.

0 Thanks
mancsmark1
Mentor

They're having a joke... there's these services called Prime & Netflix that offer FAR more content & TV shows for much less than a Sky Cinema pass... they also don't restrict you to 4 devices with 1 change a month, most of their stuff is in 1080p, lots of 4K HDR & Dolby Vision content, Dolby Atmos etc.

Now TV & Sky really don't seem to be grasping the streaming revolution do they - I wonder how the subscriber numbers in the UK stack up... I can't see many people rushing out for Now TV when you could have Prime or Netflix.

MikeyFett
Scholar 2

@noeyedeer

You are so right about sequels when the earlier film(s) in the franchise are not available. That's one of my biggest bug-bears.

The other day my daughter wanted to watch the Despicable Me films. Now TV currently has Despicable Me 1 and Despicable Me 3, but NO Despicable Me 2! I just don't get that (and no Minions film either). 

Personally if a sequel is available, and I have not seen the earlier film(s), I will not watch it at all until I have 'started from the beginning'. It's just logical. 

0 Thanks
NThan
Observer

The library for the Cinema pass just gets worse and worse. Hardly ever any new blockbusters when it does update so I don’t see what we’re getting for the additional cost

Brittain
Mentor

I completely agree, recently NowTV Movie additions have been shocking. They rarely put anything worth watching on and to increase the money is ridiculous. I’d be happy with the increase if the movies provided improved but I very much doubt they will. The Entertainment pass is also just as bad, leaving limited time to watch episodes leaving you having to wait years for them to be put back on.

0 Thanks
chai
Scholar 2

When NOW TV launched in 2012 the Sky Movies Pass was reported to have cost £15 a month (which obviously didn't last long).

However Sky did have a noticably better selection of movies back then!

0 Thanks
mattdanielc
Scholar

I also won't be renewing my pass (unless I get a deal).

I hate it when they raise prices - especially with no justification.  Sky used to do this and say rubbish like "we're giving you so much more" listing stuff that I had no interest in.  It's why I left Sky.  

I do hope NowTV don't go that way now.  What is it a 20% increase?

I also subscribe to Amazon and Netflix.  With netflix I get full HD and a far better package.  Unless I get a deal with NowTV, I won't be using their movies, it's not worth it compared to the others.

0 Thanks

This is poor.

firstly, I only signed in to my account to see when my broadband was due to end (something that also isn’t actually possible without calling up). So I hate to think how many people will have been charged the extra £2 without even knowing the price was being hiked. 

Secondly, agree that the selection is poor. “A brand new premiere every day” sounds great, a top film every day! but the reality is 9 out of 10 films are absolutely rubbish

thirdly, missing sequels etc is just stupid. You wouldn’t pick up a book and start reading from the half way mark would you?

fourthly, the passes are well over-priced compared to Netflix/amazon (except the entertainment pass) £9 to watch a day of sport? If you want to watch a specific football game, you could go to the pub,have a couple of pints and still save money!

i only (occasionally) use the movies in my bedroom and for my daughter. But she is more than happy with Netflix & amazon so I will be cancelling my pass from now on. I’m sure a lot of people will agree with most/all of my points and do the same, so I’m glad that poor service and a disgusting price rise from NowTV will actually cost them quite a bit of money in the long run 

0 Thanks