cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Price increase for monthly Cinema pass?

Hi

I've just noticed that it looks like the Now TV Sky Cinema monthly pass is increasing in price to £11.99 a month from early April 2019. See the link below and click on 'Terms and conditions' for details of this.

https://www.nowtv.com/pass-bundles/movies

and https://www.nowtv.com/pass-bundles

This makes the vouchers which can as be purchased in many stores even better value at the moment. The Cinema passes can still be bought for £15.00 for 2 months of Sky Cinema. I wonder if these will go up in price soon as well? Hopefully the monthly Entertainment pass will stay the same price.

Derry

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also won't be renewing my pass (unless I get a deal).

I hate it when they raise prices - especially with no justification.  Sky used to do this and say rubbish like "we're giving you so much more" listing stuff that I had no interest in.  It's why I left Sky.  

I do hope NowTV don't go that way now.  What is it a 20% increase?

I also subscribe to Amazon and Netflix.  With netflix I get full HD and a far better package.  Unless I get a deal with NowTV, I won't be using their movies, it's not worth it compared to the others.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is poor.

firstly, I only signed in to my account to see when my broadband was due to end (something that also isn’t actually possible without calling up). So I hate to think how many people will have been charged the extra £2 without even knowing the price was being hiked. 

Secondly, agree that the selection is poor. “A brand new premiere every day” sounds great, a top film every day! but the reality is 9 out of 10 films are absolutely rubbish

thirdly, missing sequels etc is just stupid. You wouldn’t pick up a book and start reading from the half way mark would you?

fourthly, the passes are well over-priced compared to Netflix/amazon (except the entertainment pass) £9 to watch a day of sport? If you want to watch a specific football game, you could go to the pub,have a couple of pints and still save money!

i only (occasionally) use the movies in my bedroom and for my daughter. But she is more than happy with Netflix & amazon so I will be cancelling my pass from now on. I’m sure a lot of people will agree with most/all of my points and do the same, so I’m glad that poor service and a disgusting price rise from NowTV will actually cost them quite a bit of money in the long run 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

....the passes are well over-priced compared to Netflix/amazon (except the entertainment pass) £9 to watch a day of sport? If you want to watch a specific football game, you could go to the pub,have a couple of pints and still save money!

i only (occasionally) use the movies in my bedroom and for my daughter. But she is more than happy with Netflix & amazon so I will be cancelling my pass from now on. I’m sure a lot of people will agree with most/all of my points and do the same, so I’m glad that poor service and a disgusting price rise from NowTV will actually cost them quite a bit of money in the long run 

Does anyone pay full price?  The only time I have cinema or entertainment is when I have a voucher that I had included with a stick on discount, an email offer from Now TV or the retention offer when I cancel.  Checking last 12 months, I have paid between £3 and £4 per month for either cinema or entertainment.   

Sports is different but again most I have paid in last 12 months is £13/month. As for going down the pub having a couple of pints and watching the games for less than £9, can you let me know where?  No pubs around here show Sky Sports anymore and in London it is hard to find pubs that do where a pint is less than £5. Wetherspoons perhaps, but they don’t show live sport.  When we went out to watch Wales v Ireland in football a few months ago, we looked up the sky pub finder and only in the third pub listed was the match showing. First pub was showing Germany, the second had closed.

Anyway, last weekend to get 31 days at £9.99/month. I agree,  £11.99 is too expensive and even £4/month is when I can rent new movies  from Chilli from 90p well before they turn up on Now TV and there is always something on Amazon Prime which costs £79/annum and has numerous other benefits.

PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

Now TV no longer supply paper passes with new hardware. This stops people buying the hardware only to take the passes and sell them on cheap on the likes of ebay etc. Buying hardware to get a cheaper monthly price is a waste of hardware and has an impact on the environment too. I noticed to that you can't buy monthly kids passes anymore from the likes of argos or currys? Before long your only option will to be pay the asking price displayed by Now TV. Cinema at £11.99 is expensive, I wouldn't pay £9.99 for it so Now TV don't have a hope in hell me paying £11.99 for it! I don't watch sport but if I did, I would do what the last poster said and go to the pub and watch it there and have a couple of pints and some change to spare.

At the end of the day, Sky, Virgin Media, Now TV etc charge what they do because some (the majority?) are willing to pay what these companies ask.

ukbobboy
Legend

@PaulNormanUK 

Paul

You said, "Before long your only option will to be pay the asking price displayed by Now TV."

Well, this is highly unlikely to happen because Sky/Now TV has a good business thing going with various retail companies, which is to sell them, at bulk discount and wholesale prices, huge amounts of passes. This not only put funds in their pockets but also offset some of the financial risk inherent in running an online TV streaming company.

Your idea, if it ever became reality, would cut them off from a huge, profitable and readily available source of income. And no company, in business to make money, would behave in such a reckless and detrimental manner.

And besides, if your idea ever did become a reality I would immediately stop being a Now TV customer.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

People going on about moving to Sky etc and people talking about it as a separate company obviously don’t realise that Now TV is OWNED by Sky and if the Now TV subs have gone up then so will Sky at some point if it hasn’t already and then so will Virgin media to follow suit this is what always happens.

I use Now TV at the moment because it was convenient for me but after this hike in price will probably be moving to Netflix as it’s the best deal by far now.

madamtoffee
Scholar

I was on a £5 a month offer and I can't remember the last time I watched a film, the quality of films added has been rubbish and I have just checked the future premieres and not even heard of them!

Just cancelled my pass, no way would I pay £11.99,  I can get films, entertainment and films on Netflix for £7.99  a month!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Just completed a NowTV survey about possible future features. It seems like they're thinking about charging and extra £3 a month for 1080p and 5.1 surround sound. Surely these things should be "free" in 2019! Plus they seemed to be considering charging another £2 a month not to have advertising with on demand movies.

Sounds like an April Fool's joke, only it's June!
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You seem to be forgetting that Now TV is owned by Sky. 

Sky charge £5 for HD channels on top of their basic package. So Now TV charging a fee for 1080p is in no way a surprise to me. 

It is just years overdue to bring the 1080p feature to Now TV. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just completed a NowTV survey about possible future features. It seems like they're thinking about charging and extra £3 a month for 1080p and 5.1 surround sound. Surely these things should be "free" in 2019! Plus they seemed to be considering charging another £2 a month not to have advertising with on demand movies.

Sounds like an April Fool's joke, only it's June!

No such thing as a free lunch same goes for all the Netflix fans they have just announced a price increase as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48718725

This is just the usual yearly price hike Virgin , BT ,Sky & Netflix have all announced they will be doing it.

However I do agree it is ridiculous that in 2019 subscribers are expected to pay extra for HD it was different when HD was the next big thing but that time has passed now 4K is the big hit god help us if 8K ever gets launched.

But the only way to get Tv companies to stop extra payment for HD is to get all the people who currently pay it to stop.