cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Price increase for monthly Cinema pass?

Hi

I've just noticed that it looks like the Now TV Sky Cinema monthly pass is increasing in price to £11.99 a month from early April 2019. See the link below and click on 'Terms and conditions' for details of this.

https://www.nowtv.com/pass-bundles/movies

and https://www.nowtv.com/pass-bundles

This makes the vouchers which can as be purchased in many stores even better value at the moment. The Cinema passes can still be bought for £15.00 for 2 months of Sky Cinema. I wonder if these will go up in price soon as well? Hopefully the monthly Entertainment pass will stay the same price.

Derry

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Just noticed this myself, way too expensive unless the promised full HD is introduced.  I have seen quite a few adverts for £10/m for Cinema on the Sky platform, albeit with a long term contract.  Still would expect NowTV to be cheaper though.

You have to remember that although it says £10 for Cinema on the Sky platform you also have to 1st subscribe to the basic entertainment pack, bringing the price to at least £32. Personally I think Sky Cinema has got far worse in terms of content, but if you do have to sub to it then it will still be cheaper via NowTV as opposed to full fat Sky.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have to say that we should be getting 1080P full HD if the price is going up. I'm not sure we will though...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was thinking of getting the cinema pass but not now.

A 20% price hike, not sure how they can justify that! 

noeyedeer
Scholar 2

I just saw this and i'm genuinely shocked. I was on a £4 a month offer and i cancelled it, didn't really think it was worth £4. I suppose it depends on what you watch, but for me almost every movie fits into 3 categories. 1) old movies that i already have on blu ray. 2) new releases that i'm buying on blu ray anyway, and 3) stuff i have literally zero interest in watching. 

It's not entirely Sky's fault, pretty much 95% of "big" new movies are a load of rubbish, remakes or superhero movies. There are maybe 10 new movies a year that i actually want to watch and so i usually buy the blu ray when they come out. I have watched the odd old classic that i've somehow never seen and a few lesser known new releases, but there really isn't much choice. 1,000 or 1,500 or whatever it is sounds a lot, but not when you delve into it. Plus nearly all the movies seem to stay the same almost forever. I can dip in on an offer, and pretty much everything is the same from 3 years ago. 

One incredibly irritating thing, is when a new sequel gets put on but they don't have the previous movie/s on there. I don't get that at all. Surely somebody somewhere in Sky Towers thinks... so... this big movie sequel is coming out... we're promoting it... maybe it would be a good idea to put the previous one/s up, for people who haven't seen them, or even just want to watch them again. But nope. 

There are obviously lots of good movies that i just never hear about and Sky just fall into that same trap of promoting the same old stuff like "Iron Man 643: this time it's even more Zincy". I suppose it's what the general public want, somebody must be paying to watch it. Though i'm clearly not the target market, because i wouldn't pay £11.99 whatever movies they had on there. No point having a large collection of blu rays or dvds, then paying good money to watch the same stuff again, in much lower quality. If they had a lot more choice, with easier to find more obscure new releases, i'd chuck in 5 or 6 quid. £11.99, no chance.

The entertainment pass is good enough for me, even if it's even harder to find stuff. Bung Gold on during the day as background noise, until the Last of the Summer Wine theme tune scares me off. A bit of "it's gone a bit crap these last 15 years or so" Simpsons. Catch up with The Good Doctor and all those "a bit boring, but amusing enough" time-fillers with Romesh, Russell Howard and the rest. Then find a documentary about some bloke who chopped up all his friends and hid their toes in his freezer. Jobs a good 'un.

ukbobboy
Legend

Well Forum Members

I think that £11.99 per month for the cinema pass is too steep for my blood, especially as I do not watch as many films as I used to, in other words its just not worth it.

So, by the end of this week, I plan to cancel my cinema pass.

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

These days I tend to rent new movies at 90p from Chili or £1.99 from Amazon, so whenever there is a new premiere on Sky I have often already watched it. And I spend less than £10/month on new films.

Cancelled Cinema at start of year and have a voucher sitting waiting to be used. Will probably wait until school summer holidays.

But compared to Amazon and Netflix, £11.99 is poor value.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They're having a joke... there's these services called Prime & Netflix that offer FAR more content & TV shows for much less than a Sky Cinema pass... they also don't restrict you to 4 devices with 1 change a month, most of their stuff is in 1080p, lots of 4K HDR & Dolby Vision content, Dolby Atmos etc.

Now TV & Sky really don't seem to be grasping the streaming revolution do they - I wonder how the subscriber numbers in the UK stack up... I can't see many people rushing out for Now TV when you could have Prime or Netflix.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@noeyedeer

You are so right about sequels when the earlier film(s) in the franchise are not available. That's one of my biggest bug-bears.

The other day my daughter wanted to watch the Despicable Me films. Now TV currently has Despicable Me 1 and Despicable Me 3, but NO Despicable Me 2! I just don't get that (and no Minions film either). 

Personally if a sequel is available, and I have not seen the earlier film(s), I will not watch it at all until I have 'started from the beginning'. It's just logical. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is actually a joke, right?

Like a late April Fools and we're all going to wake up tomorrow with the £2 back in our accounts?

I always thought £9.99 was steep for the content and lack of 1080p and 5.1 surround, but £11.99!? It's not even as if 1080p is modern technology either, or 5.1 surround for that matter.

The content has always been proper toilet as well, I just kept paying it these last few months for the odd film here or there, but it's literally cheaper and just as convienient to rent the films I actually want to watch from somewhere else. Plus I can literally watch Netflix in 4K with 5.1 surround sound for £9.99 a month and have WAY more content. Netflix churn out absolute belters every other day just for fun and they have done consistently for years.

I would love to see a timelined graph of active NowTV's Cinema subscriptions after all of this, I'd imagine it's just a picture of a backslash.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

And to top it all off, Disney+ is being price at $6.99, for every Marvel film, every Star Wars film, all the newly announced Marvel and Star Wars spin off series, all of the Fox films and not just that, every Disney classic and live action movie.

For $6.99...

NowTV/Sky haven't got a change Smiley Very Happy