cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why is Chromecast registered as a device?

Hi all,

I'm a fan of NowTV and I also am a fan of Netflix. I do understand the principle behind the set number of devices that you can use to watch NowTV. However, I do not see why Chromecast devices are counted towards your device count. I think this is not fair as the Chromecast is not a device as such as you need a phone, tablet or laptop/computer to watch NowTV therefore eating up two slots defaco. 

In my household we currently are fortunate enough to have two laptops, two phones (one registered) and two tablets (one registered), two Chromecast (one registered) and one game console (registered). With only 4 slots, this does not leave us with a lot of room to watch freely NowTV like we please.

I would love to know if Sky is planning to allow Chromecast to cast without having to register the device?

In the Manage Devices section, we could therefore see two sections; one with up to 4 "conventional" devices and a second section for casting devices such as Chromecast -lets say 2 or 3 slots.

Looking forward in a response from the NowTV team in this open debate. -Sky, believing in better (right?)

Many thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User A lot would agree on this. 🙂

With enough likes, your post may get moved to the "ideas" section in which the nowtv team do consider some ideas for nowtv's future. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @zelounger

whilst you hhave go have a compatible phone or tablet to control the chromecast this does not have to be registered as a device though.  If you connect and cast before pressing play on the device only the chromecast will count meaning it will take up only one slot.  Technically the chromecast is what plays the content and therefore that is why it counts as a device.

I know this is a very contended subject but hopefully this will explain why.

Mark

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User

whilst you hhave go have a compatible phone or tablet to control the chromecast this does not have to be registered as a device though.  If you connect and cast before pressing play on the device only the chromecast will count meaning it will take up only one slot.  Technically the chromecast is what plays the content and therefore that is why it counts as a device.

I know this is a very contended subject but hopefully this will explain why.

Mark

Someone said somewhere that having 4 chromecasts in your house is the same as having 4 nowTV boxes,   fair enough that may be technically correct in the way chrmoecast actually works - it doesnt cast at all it has a stream to NOWTV,  but my now TV remote controls dont get added as devices. 

whats the point of having a nowTV app that allows streaming to your tablet if you can only use it in te way you suggest to remot control the Chromecast.   What if you wnat to use your tablet as an actual mobile devcie - ie what its deisgned for, and use it out of the house,  it has to be registered as a device.

I want mobility and when im home or at a TV have the abiklity to cast to my TV. We have 3 tablets in the house and a NOWTV box,  with 2 chromecats we simply can use so they are going back and im off to prime / netflix. Shame as we liked NowTV