cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

UK Ip address What happens when I am overseas

I plan to away for 2 months in Europe travelling on business. Can I access Now Tv online whilst out of the country.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Simple answer is no you can't watch from outside UK

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

There's a proposed EU regulation that would allow EU residents travelling within the EU to continue to access digital content that they have purchased or subscribed to at home.

http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2015/december/eu-proposals-would-allow-europeans-to-take-online-content-abroad/ 

This might come into effect as early as 2017.

If few months after that  this options is not available to UK residents anymore, well you know who to thank for that.

It is also worth nothing that Netflix allows customer from country A to access local content from Netflix country B while travelling there; not exactly accessing the same content you had at home, but at least you get something. Sky / NowTv also has services in other countries, so they could think of offering something similar to NetFlix, for example accessing the Italian NowTv while travelling there.

If only remain had mentioned this, I'd have voted to stay in the EU 😉  It won't happen because of sports rights.   BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime do allow you to download shows and movies to watch.  Netflix is very impressive in this respect, and it is great when you get a different set of movies in the different countries.  In my case, I used it when I travelled to Switzerland (outside the EU), and not only did I have Breaking Bad to watch in the evening but a whole host of movies that weren't on Sky, Amazon nor Netflix UK.    

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  unfortunately we do know Smiley Mad  The pan European legislation may still come in before Brexit- think leavers forget until Article 50 is triggered, and completed, we still abide with EU legislation.  Sadly little thought seems to have been taken by that side.  

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

EU rules are in force for a while to come - exit date not known.

We still shopped in Belgium last month and brought back £1.2K excise goods ( beer, wine and baccy) for personal use etc.

BicBasher
Elite

Even when we leave the EU, it's very likely the UK will sign up for a trade agreement which will allow free trade between us and the remaining EU member states.  So it's likely the legislation that allows for example mobile phones to be used on a UK tariff without roaming charges (they're currently capped until 2017) and the proposed agreement to allow users to use VoD services as in the UK abroad may still happen.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@BicBasher wrote:

Even when we leave the EU, it's very likely the UK will sign up for a trade agreement which will allow free trade between us and the remaining EU member states.  So it's likely the legislation that allows for example mobile phones to be used on a UK tariff without roaming charges (they're currently capped until 2017) and the proposed agreement to allow users to use VoD services as in the UK abroad may still happen.

Well, "it's very likely", "it's likely", "may still happen"... yeah, right, maybe... or maybe not... we'll see...