cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stream quality

Is the Chromecast the same as Android and IOS in that it's limited to SD or can it get the higher quality video we already get on the NowTV? Only I was about to test, but as I already have 4 registered devices and not prepared to remove any, I can't.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All,

To confirm, Chromecast uses a "big screen" stream rather than the compressed one we use for mobile devices. The picture on your Chromecast comes directly from NOW TV through your WiFi, not via your phone first.

Picture quality will vary from time to time- when testing ours out in the office I found it to be pretty much the same as the NOW TV Box. It is a new platform for us though and we're constantly making improvements to streaming quality, so it could get better.

Thanks,

Tom

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Its only a push to media client... so only gets SD... from the SD Android/IOS apps...

Same as any other PC media server. the Host device does all the work selecting the stream...

You might want to connect your phone to the mains and turn off any sleep modes on the phones...

So your unlikely to want it... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Have been hoping for months that Now TV would add in the chromecast option and now it is here was very keen to give it a spin. Alas, having had time to give it a try this evening I have been left with a feeling of disappointment! I can understand tablets/phones being limited to standard definition but why chromecasts, theses are designed to be plugged into full HD TV systems.

When compared with the quality of others streaming apps (Netflix, iPlayer etc.) Now TV has some catching up to do!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just signed up for Movies free fur a month to try out the Chromecast, first thing I noticed is that no 5.1, then noticed picture is SD too. Very poor, Netflix is HD and Dolby Digital +. I was hoping to cancel my Sky package and just use Now TV, but looks like that's a no.

@Anonymous User wrote:
Have been hoping for months that Now TV would add in the chromecast option and now it is here was very keen to give it a spin. Alas, having had time to give it a try this evening I have been left with a feeling of disappointment! I can understand tablets/phones being limited to standard definition but why chromecasts, theses are designed to be plugged into full HD TV systems.

When compared with the quality of others streaming apps (Netflix, iPlayer etc.) Now TV has some catching up to do!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
GraphiteGB, that's not how Chromecast works. The phone/tablet is just the remote control.

The stream quality is noticeably worse than the NowTV box. I wonder if this is a conscious decision or just because it is a new delivery mechanism.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
The stream quality is noticeably worse than the NowTV box. I wonder if this is a conscious decision or just because it is a new delivery mechanism.

I'm guessing it grabs the Android file as it'll be using the same DRM technology. Hopefully one of the team can confirm.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interestingly the help page has been updated with the Chromecast as claims 720p for On Demand.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The TV claims the input is 1080p on live TV.... allegedly, I think? it is PAL. It seems a little better than a NOW TV box although it did trip up on itself a bit 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just done a test with an episode of the Daily Show and the quality was below standard. Just swapped over to the NowTV box to point the finger at the Chromecast stream and it turned out it was the same. Either I've got some WiFi issues or the CDN is refusing to provide the top quality stuff.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting. I did a side by side of a Touch of Cloth S1 E2 on Tuesday evening and the Chromecast was significantly poorer.

I'll repeat things tonight.