cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oddius
Scholar

Pixelated video on resume

For a couple of weeks now whenever I've resumed a program (not pause then resume) the video is corrupted (multi-colour pixeling) with sound.

If I restart the program from the beginning, or choose a new program that I haven't watch yet the video is fine.

All versions for NowTV, Chromecast are the latest using Andriod 5.1.1 also happens when casting from my tablet which uses 4.x

I have no issues resuming video with Netflix, or Google's own movie playback app.

I have rebooted everything still the same result getting extremely frustrating.

37 REPLIES 37
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Oddius,

Thanks for your post.

That's quite odd. I'll get this looked into. I'll going to send you an email soon when I've got an update.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi this is happening lots for me too! Really frustrating as I can't always resolve it 😟

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear this. Are you having this issue on all devices? After you resume how long does it roughly take to get back to a normal stream?

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi sometimes it works and then doesn't and then not at all, but I can watch something else on now tv! It is really strange. I use my iPad to cast now tv, no other devices.

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the issue on both of my Chromecast devices, starting from around 4 weeks (estimate) ago. I would say almost 100% of the time you select to restore, the picture corruption occurs. Once or twice, it's sorted itself within a couple of seconds, but every other time, the corruption continues indfefinitely (even if you move the time slider to 0:00).

As I mentioned previously, if you click "start from beginining" it plays fine, even if you move the time slider to another part of the program.

One of my two Chromecasts received a firmware update at the weekend to 1.17.something (from 1.16.something) and I was hoping this might have solved the issues, but it does not.

Feel free to request any more information that you may need.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Simon-J wrote:

That's quite odd. I'll get this looked into. I'll going to send you an email soon when I've got an update.

Hi @Simon-J,

Thanks for your post.

This is clearly not “quite odd” is it, as so many people are getting this issue. ‘Quite Odd’ and as your colleague on chat put it just a moment ago to me(before they hit their 12am deadline), in almost the same manner, “How Strange” are both a complete fob off. Is there a list of approved nonsense, non-commital words/phrases that Sky permit you to use in an answer that has no good reply. (If that does exist that would be really great to send to Wiki-leaks eh!)

What I'm sure you mean to say I'm sure is, “oh yes, that sucks… I know, and so many people have this issue but our technicians just can't pull there fingers out and get it sorted along all the other issues like ‘why your login seems to have just stopped working for no apparent reason on all devices except browser(that incidentally you can't even chromecast to a TV from anymore so as to actually watch like normal people)’. Have you tried netflix? That works just fine.” 

This would make a great standard reply and would at least leave your users grinning slightly instead of going away thinking “Hmm so where is that cancellaton button I saw”.

Thanks

Tom.

NOW TV Customer (currently…)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah, this, I'm sure is the default behaviour. So not "odd". I see it all the time.

It's just that most people just put up with it.

The Internet generation isn't the most discerning generation when it comes to picture quality.

My guess is that this a bitrate-averaging figure-outer algorithm bug. ("Look! We only managed to send this many bits in this time, quick go to awful mode!")

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to add. I'm getting this too.

Exactly the same.. resume and really pixellated, even if I skip to the start / any part of the program.

If I watch something from the start, it works fine, even if i skip to any part of the program.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue here when resuming stream on Chromecast. It's like the video is trying to resume from a b or p frame rather than an I frame. Seeking to the beginning or to a point where the content changes (like at an advert interval) seems to correct it.