cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Device Management with Chromecast

Hi,

I was wondering why the chromecast option takes up a device management slot, as we need a registered device to cast from...? This means to watch nowtv via chromecast, I need to use 2 of the 4 available slots.
Are there any plans to increase the device number limit or remove the registered device requirement for the chromecast?
92 REPLIES 92
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User if you don't want to watch on iPad screen you will want to remove this device. Just make sure that you press the cast button before you start to play the show/film.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@aretsea Thank you. Just to be clear, I can have the app, choose the programme, but hit the square with the three curved lines in the bottom left before I press play?
I also read somewhere, that my Apple tv log on woukdnt use a slot as it's through I tunes not the app.....or have I Mis understood?

Thank you.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User that's the way for the Chromecast. As for the AppleTV there are now two ways to pay. Through iTunes, where you have a limit of 4 AppleTVs or through NOW TV where it's any four devices. 

The problem with using your AppleTV via iTunes is that you won't see any passes you've already purchased direct from NOW TV. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you, that's so helpful. And thanks for the warning on appletv, def want to use the passes I already have.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is ridiculous. Especially when you're giving three months free with chromecast purchases. Can't cast to the chromecast! A well, at least it's a free trial and I won't need to pay for the service when I cancel.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm sorry, but this shouldn't be something that has to be resolved by online chat. The problem shouldn't exist in the first place.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User as explained above there is a device limit is in place to protect the content owners, seeing as your forum account dates back to 2013 it suggests you're not a new customer so don't have the grace of having the first four devices added without restriction. However Live Chat are pretty friendly and can sort you out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There needs to be a way in the iOS and Android app to make sure it never registers as an output device, but only as a controller for Chromecast (that's the preferable way, as then the main TV can have any number of controllers). Otherwise slots will be filled up by accident. Alternatively, at least not register the actual Chromecast dongle as a device. As things stand, the 4 device restriction is just way too low.

Any sort of tinkering with devices to test picture quality, 50Hz compatibility, 24p compatibility, etc, and the limit is reached. Then you are screwed.

And to think I was considering jumping from Netflix to NowTV -I have to reconsider now.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User so right now you have zero devices, want to test a mobile, the Chromecast and a console, but 4 is just too low?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User so right now you have zero devices, want to test a mobile, the Chromecast and a console, but 4 is just too low?

Not quite sure what you are asking?

Any mobile device I have is for controlling the Chromecast stick.

An iPad plus an Android device controlling the Chromecast stick adds up to a total of 3 devices.

Add the PS3 (connected to the same TV as the Chromecast device), and I'm up to 4 devices.

That's it. No more testing of any more devices. Nada.

So in reality, two devices, the Chromecast and PS3, turns into 4.

NowTV has now reset it to zero devices, and this time I won't add the Android device as a controller, so at least I can add a Roku or similar later on.

But, in general, this restriction is very bad for anyone used to testing various hardware solutions in order to get the best out of a service.

There must be a better solution, surely.

My suggestion to NowTV is to make the app able to never by accident show anything on the local device. Perhaps even a separate app for only controlling Chromecast?