cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Device Management with Chromecast

Hi,

I was wondering why the chromecast option takes up a device management slot, as we need a registered device to cast from...? This means to watch nowtv via chromecast, I need to use 2 of the 4 available slots.
Are there any plans to increase the device number limit or remove the registered device requirement for the chromecast?
92 REPLIES 92
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI just to add a little more info.

I had 1 spare slot on my device list, the other 3 were taken by the now tv box and 2 smart TV's.

I want to stream from an ipad to the Chromcast in a bedroom.

I opened the now tv iOS app chose the film I wnated to watch and then went to select the Chromecast to stream to.

It said I couldn't stream to the Chromecast as I couldn't add anymore devices. The iPad has taken the final slot on my device list.

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User , 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

You need 2 slots, a free slot for Chromecast and a free slot for the iOS or Android device. 

Please see this link here for more information on Chromecast Compatible Devices. 

If you have any further questions please feel free to get back in touch. 

Many Thanks, 

Karl 

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

+1 too. Utterly negates the use of the chromecast to count it as a device. Apple TV doesn't count to the four because you connect via itunes account. So if your account management is this flexible and you can ID a chromecast shouldn't be a stretch to sort it without having to go up to 5 devices.

Smacks of Sky trying to see if they can get away with it in the hope that most folk aren't up to their limit.

;0)
Anonymous User
Not applicable

how do youy get now tv on an Apple TV?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
App,or airplay. Sports only ATM.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Apologies I have got a little bit lost on this thread however wanted to share my experience today.  Having has a few problems in connecting to my chormecast which the NOW TV team helped me to resolve I was keen to try.  I only have one NOW TV box registered on my account so knew I had the spare slots.  Followed the guide exactly from the help screens (http://help.nowtv.com/article/Using-Chromecast) and connected to the chromecast straight away from the app on my iPad and then used the iPad as the remote to find something to watch to try it. My iPad was signed into my account and at the end of the trial programme I know have two slots used up, one for the NOW TV box and one for my Chromecast.  Because I didn't actually watch any of the programme on my iPad it has not registered it as a device and therefore it has worked exactly as I would like it to still leaving me two other devices I can use...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

From my experience if you open the chromecast app then connect to the chrome cast *before* clicking play it doesn't use a slot for the phone. Obviously if you watch on the phone and also on the chromecast its going to use two slots.

Hope that helps ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments here. I've double checked the information with our Chromecast techies and they've confirmed the following:

Chromecast works like other NOW TV compatible devices, in that it uses one slot from the device allowance. So long as you never initiate playout on the mobile device you're using to "control" the Chromecast, that mobile device won't take up a device slot. To ensure this, tap the cast icon in the NOW TV app and wait for the "NOW TV ready to cast" screen on your TV before tapping "watch now".

If you want to be able to watch on the mobile device as well (at times when you don't have your Chromecast at hand) then that has to take an extra device slot. 

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable
That's good to hear. Personally I have a Chromecast in my kitchen and bedroom and smart TVs in my living room and play room. The Chromecast suits us because the bedroom and kitchen TVs are wall mounted so I don't need to find a place to put a box. If we were forced to use our phones as devices then we effectively couldn't use nowtv in all of our rooms.

If possible maybe add a "Chromecast only" mode to the android/iOS app so no one accidently adds the phone as a device when they just want to use it as a remote.
Kumnaa
Scholar

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments here. I've double checked the information with our Chromecast techies and they've confirmed the following:

Chromecast works like other NOW TV compatible devices, in that it uses one slot from the device allowance. So long as you never initiate playout on the mobile device you're using to "control" the Chromecast, that mobile device won't take up a device slot. To ensure this, tap the cast icon in the NOW TV app and wait for the "NOW TV ready to cast" screen on your TV before tapping "watch now".

If you want to be able to watch on the mobile device as well (at times when you don't have your Chromecast at hand) then that has to take an extra device slot. 

Thanks,

Tom

That is true. The trouble I have is that I don't want my phone taking a slot, I never use it for any streaming services but not being a perfect human I regularly find myself pressing play before I remember to cast. I've then got to remove the phone from my account again to keep the slots free.

We've got two phones and a tablet that we use just as remotes for two Chromecasts so it can get quite messy (especially when the kids have a go).

I've already previously suggested that we be able to lock devices out from automatically being added as streaming devices but I don't know if that's something they're planning to implement.

The Chromecast is my streaming device, my phone is the remote.