cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Device Management with Chromecast

Hi,

I was wondering why the chromecast option takes up a device management slot, as we need a registered device to cast from...? This means to watch nowtv via chromecast, I need to use 2 of the 4 available slots.
Are there any plans to increase the device number limit or remove the registered device requirement for the chromecast?
92 REPLIES 92
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

as for the device not having to be one of your 4 it inevitably always will be otherwise 99% of users wouldnt have installed the app in the first place. 

I've now installed the NowTV app on the other Android devices in the house to control the Chromecast whilst I'm not around, and I'm sure others will to due to the limitations of the Chromecast in that it needs a second device to use it, unlike the NowTV box which has a simple remote.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

as for the device not having to be one of your 4 it inevitably always will be otherwise 99% of users wouldnt have installed the app in the first place. 

I've now installed the NowTV app on the other Android devices in the house to control the Chromecast whilst I'm not around, and I'm sure others will to due to the limitations of the Chromecast in that it needs a second device to use it, unlike the NowTV box which has a simple remote.

Congratulations! Welcome to the 1% club,this is a solution provided everyone in the house has a compatible device, kind of the original purpose of the Chromecast in reverse,lots of devices for 1 Chromecast not a network of Chromecasts making your device a content distributer around your home...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Congratulations! Welcome to the 1% club,this is a solution provided everyone in the house has a compatible device, kind of the original purpose of the Chromecast in reverse,lots of devices for 1 Chromecast not a network of Chromecasts making your device a content distributer around your home...

Everyone doesn't need their own device, just to make sure that there are available devices around. My phone is always with me, which results in the kids unable to use the Chromecast if it was part of my phone when I'm at work. Instead they have the household tablet or the wifes iPhone.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Everyone doesn't need their own device, just to make sure that there are available devices around. My phone is always with me, which results in the kids unable to use the Chromecast if it was part of my phone when I'm at work. Instead they have the household tablet or the wifes iPhone.

In which case is the Chromecast the best way for you to view Now TV? If you have to go to this much trouble just to use 1 Chromecast imagine 3 or 4 like I have, maybe you have replaced the simplicity of the Chromecast with an overly complex way of viewing Now TV just for the sake of wanting to use the Chromecast, a £10 Now TV box would be so much more straight forward...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

In which case is the Chromecast the best way for you to view Now TV? If you have to go to this much trouble just to use 1 Chromecast imagine 3 or 4 like I have, maybe you have replaced the simplicity of the Chromecast with an overly complex way of viewing Now TV just for the sake of wanting to use the Chromecast, a £10 Now TV box would be so much more straight forward...

But using any of the other methods available for NowTV on each TV would still need it's own slot. I don't see why a Chromecast should be any different.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

But using any of the other methods available for NowTV on each TV would still need it's own slot. I don't see why a Chromecast should be any different.

Because when you are actually viewing you lose a viewing device, as MOST people maybe not you personally but most will have their controlling device using a slot, something that doesn't happen if you have Netflix or are using YouTube with a Chromecast because they don't have the same device restrictions, its counter intuitive for a home with multiple Chromecasts.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User and @Anonymous User 

Thanks for your posts. 

We're interested to hear all feedback regarding Chromecast and we're greatful for your comments regarding device limitations when using this device. 

As we've only just launched on this device, we don't have any news at this moment regarding increased device slots.

However, we may change this in the future and we'll be sure to keep everyone updated if there's any news. 

Kindest 

Steve

NOW TV Team 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It doesn't seem to work on my iPad. Just sits there trying to connect. YouTube an Netflix connect to it fine. Can't try it on my nexus 4 because I now won't have enough devices!
Anonymous User
Not applicable
The my devices page says "You can add one device per month up to the limit of 4 devices" so does that mean I can't use the chromecast as I have already activated my iPad this month? If so that's really stupid an pointless!
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi all

I've just been reviewing the latest update of the iOS update for coolsmartphone and got quite a shock to find that I didn't have enough device slots because an iPad and Chromecast requires 2 slots rather then 1.
This was very unexpected and I suspect (really hope) a policy that might change in the future.