cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caled
Advocate

Device Management with Chromecast

Hi,

I was wondering why the chromecast option takes up a device management slot, as we need a registered device to cast from...? This means to watch nowtv via chromecast, I need to use 2 of the 4 available slots.
Are there any plans to increase the device number limit or remove the registered device requirement for the chromecast?

This post has been archived

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

92 Replies
Highlighted
adam1968uk
Scholar 2

Re: Device Management with Chromecast

Yeah seems strange. I excitedly switched on the chromecast only to find I had reached my devise limits. Surely I'm only using my android phone whether it be on its screen or my TV? No real point to developing it for chromecast if it's like this.

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

NOW TV Team Stephen-L
NOW TV Team

Hi @Caled and @adam1968uk 

Thanks for your posts. 

We're interested to hear all feedback regarding Chromecast and we're greatful for your comments regarding device limitations when using this device. 

As we've only just launched on this device, we don't have any news at this moment regarding increased device slots.

However, we may change this in the future and we'll be sure to keep everyone updated if there's any news. 

Kindest 

Steve

NOW TV Team 

Horaland
Scholar

It doesn't seem to work on my iPad. Just sits there trying to connect. YouTube an Netflix connect to it fine. Can't try it on my nexus 4 because I now won't have enough devices!

0 Thanks
Horaland
Scholar

Agreed. The chromecast is really just a monitor for the phone or tablet. Might as well require 2 devices for the tv connected to the now tv box or the monitor on the computer. Stupid rule.

Horaland
Scholar

The my devices page says "You can add one device per month up to the limit of 4 devices" so does that mean I can't use the chromecast as I have already activated my iPad this month? If so that's really stupid an pointless!

buzzmadman
Scholar

+1 on this, the Chromecast is merely a receiver for content much like a TV, enabling a TV to become the content monitor, I also have Netflix and multiple Chromecasts and Netflix only sees my tablet as the device, it's disappointing that Sky don't see the purpose of the Chromecast and the way that content is used in the same way that Netflix does instead of this overly restricted way........

artesea Legend 5
Legend 5

It's possible however to cast to the device through an unallocated phone (and rooted ones at that) so I'm guessing it's this use case which causes it to count as one of the four.

-----
I'm a Community Contributor not staff, so whilst I know a lot about the service I will be unable to help with any account issues.
Did you find this post useful, why not give some Thanks?

0 Thanks
DeeApples
Mentor

+1 too. Utterly negates the use of the chromecast to count it as a device. Apple TV doesn't count to the four because you connect via itunes account. So if your account management is this flexible and you can ID a chromecast shouldn't be a stretch to sort it without having to go up to 5 devices.

Smacks of Sky trying to see if they can get away with it in the hope that most folk aren't up to their limit.

;0)

me075064
Mentor

Hi all

I've just been reviewing the latest update of the iOS update for coolsmartphone and got quite a shock to find that I didn't have enough device slots because an iPad and Chromecast requires 2 slots rather then 1.
This was very unexpected and I suspect (really hope) a policy that might change in the future.