cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast rebooting when casting from the app

Yesterday I had some real trouble watching some old episodes of LOST. Beginning playback or seeking the stream would cause the Chromecast to reboot (black screen, google logo, wifi connecting screen...).

2nd gen Chromecast

Onkyo AVR

1080p Samsung TV

Latest NOW TV ap

Galaxy Tab 2

The episode was LOST S01E05 I think.

Each time this happened the app would think it was still casting, so I would have to tell it to Stop Casting, then reconnect. Time consuming and frustrating.

After several attempts it managed to get going and I could watch fine.

I have never seen this with any other apps on the Chromecast so I think it must be the NOW TV app.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tony,

Thanks, I got it to happen with another device (Moto G) and another app (Spotify) so it's not just NOW TV. Sorry for wasting your time.

In fact I did some digging around and it seems to be related to insufficient power to the Chromecast. This article gave me the idea

https://www.howtogeek.com/207597/how-to-troubleshoot-common-google-chromecast-issues/

I'm using a different USB socket for power now and it seems to be fine! Hopefully this can be useful for others.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Yesterday I had some real trouble watching some old episodes of LOST. Beginning playback or seeking the stream would cause the Chromecast to reboot (black screen, google logo, wifi connecting screen...).

2nd gen Chromecast

Onkyo AVR

1080p Samsung TV

Latest NOW TV ap

Galaxy Tab 2

The episode was LOST S01E05 I think.

Each time this happened the app would think it was still casting, so I would have to tell it to Stop Casting, then reconnect. Time consuming and frustrating.

After several attempts it managed to get going and I could watch fine.

I have never seen this with any other apps on the Chromecast so I think it must be the NOW TV app.

Hi @Anonymous User That' strange. Have you seen this with any other shows/episodes recently? Do you have any other devices you can cast from to determine if it was the tablet/app or a general problem across multiple devices? Thanks

Tony

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tony,

Thanks, I got it to happen with another device (Moto G) and another app (Spotify) so it's not just NOW TV. Sorry for wasting your time.

In fact I did some digging around and it seems to be related to insufficient power to the Chromecast. This article gave me the idea

https://www.howtogeek.com/207597/how-to-troubleshoot-common-google-chromecast-issues/

I'm using a different USB socket for power now and it seems to be fine! Hopefully this can be useful for others.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi Tony,

No problem @Anonymous User, Glad you got it sorted in the end at least 🙂 Your right, this should be useful for anyone who searches on google regarding the Chromecast/Now TV. Cheers