cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BicBasher
Elite

Chromecast is now supporting 50Hz output

Great news, Chromecast is now another device which is supporting 50Hz.

Google have instructions on how to change your Chromecast in their product forum.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chromecast/Mj37qk5emKw

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
27 REPLIES 27
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

You often find that the offers you get with the Chromecast are worth almost as much if not more than the actual Chromecast Smiley Happy 

£20 Play credit, 2 months of NOW TV movies, 90 days of Play Music (if you've not had it in the past), 90 days of Spotify, one free Play rental.

And that's without any future deals which might come out.

It is a shame that existing NowTv customers who have used or activated the Movie pass previously can not take advantage of the 2 months Movie offer from Chromecast.

Already got Spotify Premium, so decided to go for the £20 Google Play Store credit ( even thou i am not sure what i will spend the twenty quid credit on in the Google store ).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:
It is a shame that existing NowTv customers who have used or activated the Movie pass previously can not take advantage of the 2 months Movie offer from Chromecast. 

@schnapps whilst the T&Cs may say New Customers I've successfully used this current offer and also used the ents pass last year.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@schnapps wrote:

@schnapps whilst the T&Cs may say New Customers I've successfully used this current offer and also used the ents pass last year.

@Anonymous User, dam it wish i knew that, would have gone for the NowTV 2 month movie pass offer instead of the £20 Google Play credit.

Perhaps I should have posted here before taking the plunge, maybe a future lesson learned.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps it's not an either or, you can have both (plus keep an eye on the offers every couple of months as more are added. I've got more back then I paid for the device) 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@schnapps it's not an either or, you can have both (plus keep an eye on the offers every couple of months as more are added. I've got more back then I paid for the device) 

@Anonymous User, I this is true then that is a very generous offer from Google Chromecast.

Another quick question, is that my current NowTV movie pass is not scheduled to expire until early March 2016 and I believe the Chromecast promotion ends sometime around the middle of Jan 2016.

So will I be able to apply the Chromecast NowTV 2 month movie credit to my account ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps that'll where you'll get stuck. You can only enter a new code in the final month, so early Feb. However the previous entertainment offer ended up being available for a year so you might be fine, or you could give the code to someone else to use.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this.  I informed NowTV via Twitter back in early December, but never got around to posting on the forum.

I can certainly attest that having enabled the 'Use 50hz HDMI mode' setting within the Chromecast app, the formerly experienced judder is now minimal (especially when watching high motion e.g. football).

Hopefully NowTV will implement Full HD / 1080 in 2016 and then we really will be looking at a top quality service.

• LG TV - Model no: 42LD550-ZC | Software version: 03.03.13 | NOW TV app version: 5.0

• Chromecast firmware version: 1.17.46278 | Chromecast app version: 1.13.6812
• Networking Spec - ISP: BT Infinity 2 @ 80mbps

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you watch sports from for example BBC iPlayer via Chromecast (set to switch to 50Hz) things should look just like on real TV. Perhaps you have seen some 25Hz material, or 60Hz converted to 50Hz?

P.S: Why Google has the 50Hz capability off by default is beyond me. It will only kick in on 50Hz material anyway, and I'm pretty sure they will only switch if the TV/monitor reports that it supports 50Hz.