cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BicBasher
Elite

Chromecast is now supporting 50Hz output

Great news, Chromecast is now another device which is supporting 50Hz.

Google have instructions on how to change your Chromecast in their product forum.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chromecast/Mj37qk5emKw

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
27 REPLIES 27
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BicBasher wrote:

@schnapps wrote:

The only noticeable advantage I could see of the newer Chromecast V2 from my testing was an improvement with the WIFI signal, when used in part of my house which had a previous poor WIFI reception.

That'll be the 5Ghz reception kicking in.  The V1 Chromecast only supports the older 2.4Ghz wifi signal which is prone to interference.

The Router that I tested both Chromecasts on, was an old Belkin Router which only uses the 2.4GHz frequency WIFI band.

Maybe the Chromecast V2 has an improved WIFI antenna inbuilt into the body of the device ?

There is definitely an improvement on the WIFI reception on the newer generation V2 Chromecast. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps v2 has three antennas

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

I actually ordered myself a chromecast version 2 a few minutes ago Tesco direct. I had Clubcard points to spend. So what's a man to do Smiley LOL

You often find that the offers you get with the Chromecast are worth almost as much if not more than the actual Chromecast Smiley Happy 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 wrote:

You often find that the offers you get with the Chromecast are worth almost as much if not more than the actual Chromecast Smiley Happy 

£20 Play credit, 2 months of NOW TV movies, 90 days of Play Music (if you've not had it in the past), 90 days of Spotify, one free Play rental.

And that's without any future deals which might come out.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

£20 Play credit, 2 months of NOW TV movies, 90 days of Play Music (if you've not had it in the past), 90 days of Spotify, one free Play rental.

And that's without any future deals which might come out.

@Anonymous User I've never redeemed a play music offer before so I'm fine Smiley Happy 

I actually never brought the first version of chromecast 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I notice that the Chromecast comes with the BBC iPlayer app pre-installed and that the All4 app is available. But is it actually possible to install ITV Hub and Demand 5?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital the Chromecast doesn't have anything pre-installed. It needs either a compatible app on your phone/tablet or Chrome browser. 

At the moment for the UK it's pretty much

BBC iPlayer, All4 (although only very recently), Youtube, Netflix, BT Sport, Google Play and NOW TV. 

None of the other major catchup services are available.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromecast/apps/

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

So it's not an Android device then?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's runs a variation of Chrome and has no UI other than push this from my phone/tablet/laptop. Without those it'll just show random photos.

At least Fire and Roku sticks come with apps and remotes.

BicBasher
Elite

TV Player Plus will eventually launch on Chromecast.

While not exactly mainstream, you can cast from Wuaki.tv and Blinkbox. along with FilmOn.TV, which streams IPTV channels from the UK and Europe.

ITV Hub and Amazon Video are the ones I'd love to see most on Chromecast, but I can understand Amazon's reticence to not have it on there when they want everyone to own their own Fire device.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.