cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BicBasher
Elite

Chromecast is now supporting 50Hz output

Great news, Chromecast is now another device which is supporting 50Hz.

Google have instructions on how to change your Chromecast in their product forum.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chromecast/Mj37qk5emKw

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
27 REPLIES 27
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Very nice find Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I made the change last night. Didn't notice any difference whilst watching Elementary last night.

BicBasher
Elite

It appears according to the Google forum, it's only avaliable to 1st gen Chromecast.   Reports of the 2015 model are still fixed at 60Hz.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
BicBasher
Elite

Finally tested the Chromecast with the Now TV app and it's a massive improvement.  Picture is a lot better, although I find the PQ via the LG app slightly better, which I think is down to supporting 24p video.

Casting the live stream of GOLD, One Foot in the Grave no longer has a 'glazed' look where it does at 60Hz.   For the average viewer, this is a massive improvement and should solve any issues with fast action sport and movies.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BicBasher wrote:

Great news, Chromecast is now another device which is supporting 50Hz.

Google have instructions on how to change your Chromecast in their product forum.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chromecast/Mj37qk5emKw

Been waiting for the Chromecast to support 50Hz since the product was brought to market.

Nice to see that Google have took on board feedback from their European customers complaining about the 60Hz motion stutter.

Tested out on a Chromecast Version 1 device watching BT Sport via my Android phone and playback looks much more smother & clearer on my TV screen (IMO a big improvement).

Please note, for the above to work, I had to go to the Google Store and update the Chromecast app on my Android phone to the latest version.

Might be now tempted to pick up a Chromecast V2 sometime this week to compare the above test.

BicBasher
Elite

Chromecast 2015 (2nd gen) is now 50Hz compatible. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Just done a comparison between the Chromecast V1 compared to the V2, with both Chromecasts set to 50Hz video output watching BT Sport content.

Picture quality wise (to my eyes) the video stream looked identical on both versions of the Chromecast.

Setting both Chromecasts to 50Hz for fast moving sport action does seem to make the video motion on my TV to appear to run more smoothly with less stutter compared to the 60Hz standard setting on the Chromecast.

The only noticeable advantage I could see of the newer Chromecast V2 from my testing was an improvement with the WIFI signal, when used in part of my house which had a previous poor WIFI reception.

BicBasher
Elite

@schnapps wrote:

The only noticeable advantage I could see of the newer Chromecast V2 from my testing was an improvement with the WIFI signal, when used in part of my house which had a previous poor WIFI reception.

That'll be the 5Ghz reception kicking in.  The V1 Chromecast only supports the older 2.4Ghz wifi signal which is prone to interference.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BicBasher wrote:

@schnapps wrote:

That'll be the 5Ghz reception kicking in.  The V1 Chromecast only supports the older 2.4Ghz wifi signal which is prone to interference.

Hi @BicBasher

Correct, but that's because far too many people in city areas use Wi-Fi. Particularly 2.4 gig Wi-Fi, although you you will find that as more 5gig kit is handed out by ISPs that 5gig Wi-Fi will eventually run into the same problem. in reality ISPs need to stop handing out Wi-Fi kit. If people want Wi-Fi. It's something they should get separately

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.