cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast as a device - you must be joking me!

Just bought a chromecast and I think you know what is coming up... Unbelievably, Sky Now regard the chromecast as one of my devices. What the hell is that about? Sorry Now, but that is crazy. I've just had to go through some stupid device reset on the live chat, and now have one fewer device. I was thinking of buying Chromecasts for all my televisions. If i do buy another single Chromecast, it's goodbye Now TV. I know I can use any device with NowTV app installed as a casting remote, but that is not the point at all as I regularly watch it away from home on my mobile device. Maybe if you offered a more reasonable number of devices on the system it would be barely acceptable, just like netflix does, but to have it as one of your four devices is insane. This is not what the cc was designed for. I can't watch content on the cc, I can't find the screen! I think this policy really needs a very urgent rethink. I also sub to netflix, and there is none of this four device restriction BS. Maybe they are more deserving of my money solely.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

If you use the iPad to watch NOW TV on as well as casting to your Chromecast then both will be added as devices.

If you only want to use the iPad to cast then it won't be added as a device. The trick is to make sure you press the cast button before choosing what content you want to send, that way the iPad doesn't get added as a device. If you start playing the content first before pressing the cast button your iPad will be counted as a device.

If you didn't mean to do this you can go to your My Account > Manage devices page and delete the iPad from your list

http://account.nowtv.com/device-management

If you've already used up your change for the month you'll need to wait until next month, or you could have a word with Live Chat, explain what's happened and see if they can sort something out for you as a courtesy.

To reach live chat go to the following help page
http://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/Managing-Devices
and click the Start Live Chat button.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's appalling now TVI to count a streaming stick as a device.

also what's the point of all this fuss about 4 registered devices when you can only watch 2 simultaneously? Completely no point of having only four registered devices.

in my opinion you should only have one or the other. 

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User whilst the Chromecast counts the controlling device doesn't have to.  You just have to cast first and then play.  Device limits are a bone of contention across many users.  2 watchable devices is similar to Netflix middle package or Amazon. However unlike Amazon you can watch the same content on both. 

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, having the same issues as everyone else and the most obvious solution was suggested earlier in the thread - Now tv should offer 8 devices for a fee to cover additional payment to licensing fees they pay providers. Win win surely. Most of us would be happy to pay for more device than the standard user requirements. What are the Now tv arguments about  this as a solution?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Accepted solution by who - the solution is no solution at all.  All i want to do is wtch on my tablet and when at home or whereever stream toa  TV, this causes multiple devices in the device list for a single use.

Not acceptable.

@Andy wrote:

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

If you use the iPad to watch NOW TV on as well as casting to your Chromecast then both will be added as devices.

If you only want to use the iPad to cast then it won't be added as a device. The trick is to make sure you press the cast button before choosing what content you want to send, that way the iPad doesn't get added as a device. If you start playing the content first before pressing the cast button your iPad will be counted as a device.

If you didn't mean to do this you can go to your My Account > Manage devices page and delete the iPad from your list

http://account.nowtv.com/device-management

If you've already used up your change for the month you'll need to wait until next month, or you could have a word with Live Chat, explain what's happened and see if they can sort something out for you as a courtesy.

To reach live chat go to the following help page
http://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/Managing-Devices
and click the Start Live Chat button.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, I was pressing play on the IPad first and then casting it. Works fine with both chromecasts now if I cast first before playing.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

yes but if you cast first, it then means if you wnat to take your tablet on the road and watch elsewhere then you hit the more that 5 devices issue.   This is really bad, ill be returning my 2 chromecasts which i bought as xmas presents - onf ofr my sone and one for the wife, along with our main nowTV box we simply cant operate. I will be shutting down NowTV after free period now as it doesnt do what it says which is to allow to watch on 4. You cant run a chromecast without an android device so it should be that that is counted not the chromecast. Rediculous

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think there's some confusion about how the Chromecast works it doesn't actually stream what your watching to your phone then to the Chromecast your chromecast has its own connection to your WiFi which it uses and your phone or tablet is used purely as a smart remote. That's why the Chromecast is counted as a new device.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

ok, are you f###ing kidding?

I just tried to cast my surface onto my TV and it tells me there's a problem and quits out.  Then the first thing I find is this.  If I plug an HDMI cable in do I have to get a license for that too?

this is an absolute joke, I'll use the trial, then I'll quit and get Amazon Prime.