cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Casting Crashes/Fails with Nvidia Shield

Everytime I try and cast from Android (tried multiple devides) to my Nvidia Shield device, it crashes before playing any video at all.

Is there any plans to update the app to remedy this?

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Casting to the shield does now mostly work - at the beginning of the year
it didn't work at all. I only have occasional bandwidth issues, which
manifests as low bitrate rather than buffering. However it does disconnect
frequently requiring me to restart the cast from the Android mobile device.
This happens for me maybe one in every 2 or 3 Entertainment episodes or
Movies.

Unfortunately I have found it worst for watching live Sports, which is a
problem because there is no possibility to go back and watch the bit you
missed. I missed most of the last football match I tried to watch on Now TV
due to these technical issues, so my appetite for using it is much
diminished.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Kyrt

I don't think Nvidea Shield is a Now TV supported device and so will not work, check out this URL:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you read back in the thread it's not about support for the shield itself, it is about Google Cast. Chromecast is a supported device, and Google cast is the same thing on 3rd party hardware types. There is no special app for shield required. In fact since this thread was created Now TV have updated their cast support and it does now work, it's just the nowtv streaming service itself and the app are quite unreliable. It is the same for me on my Chromecast (and also buffering on PS3 and PS4, despite both being on wired connection and 80Mb internet). So I don't think it's to do with the device.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Sorry Kirt

Though I may have misunderstood your query I think my answer is still relevant because Sky/Now TV has in the past, and will continue to, close down accidental beneficial facilities.  In other words, if a facility is not explicitly supported that facility WILL be deleted. 

Unfortunately for us customers, there have been a number of non-supported facilities that have proved to be very useful but because of (I guess) an unpublished internal policy, these facilities no longer exist. And wherever these facilities pop up, whether in the Now TV app, box or wherever else, eventually they will be zapped.

Thet's the way this company rolls.

UK Bob