cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Casting Crashes/Fails with Nvidia Shield

Everytime I try and cast from Android (tried multiple devides) to my Nvidia Shield device, it crashes before playing any video at all.

Is there any plans to update the app to remedy this?

33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just cancelled my subscriptions until Sky get their act together.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The NOWTV approach to Android overall is shocking, I too was sad to see that you cannot use NOWTV with the shield tv device. I can cast my BT Sport without any problems (along with most of NOWTV's competitors, even managed to get amazon instant video loaded!) and the picture is fantastic! when you decide to actually support this device I'll restart my sports pass 🙂 The other half still watches Sky Movies on her tablet so we aren't dropping nowtv though.

I don't understand Sky/NOWTV's whole thought process when it comes to android devices, I would expect a large chunk of the NOWTV customer base is android based due to devices costing less than their Apple rivals. NOWTV seems to treat Android as if it's just a dirty little cousin that they don't really want to think about.

I made contact with them recently about the god awful picture on an android tablet, rather than answer my question about when they will improve the picture quality they just made be do lots of daft stuff. I never did hear back from "higher technical support" about my query when it was escalated, I did receive an email asking me to provide feedback on my interaction with NOWTV though... I'm still debating whether to respond as my feedback wouldn't be positive and it would probably be ignored 🙂

Hopefully you'll support Android TV properly in the near future or at least fix it up so Google Cast works fully 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm trying to watch Now TV on my Nvidia shield TV using android, and both sideloading and google cast has stopped working. We this ever get fix or do I need to find another subscription service. This is extreemly poor support on the part of Now TV. This product has been out over a year and the android to interface is not very complicated. 

Regards

Disspionted viewer. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I quit my subscription and moved on.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The UK revision of the Shield android TV console did not release untill OCTOBER 2015...

Using imported hardware will bring extra issues as well...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there a fix for this yet?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Apologies, we do not support Google Casting to the Nvidia Android TV at this time.

While we're always looking at ways to improve the service for our customers so this may happen in the future.

Thanks 

Rob

The NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Though you don't current support googlecast how about you just release a version that works on android tv, remove the simply ###### hdmi block (some drm crap behind the reason I am sure that software houses have requested because a) they don't understand hdcp and 2) see a) ).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Though you don't current support googlecast how about you just release a version that works on android tv, remove the simply ###### hdmi block (some drm crap behind the reason I am sure that software houses have requested because a) they don't understand hdcp and 2) see a) ).

Re read the above posts again... Android TV is not an open platform, currently a full rebuild of the GUI would be needed

and agreements for another HDTV device license (Android is only SD currently) would have to be made With HD content versions NOT currently Licensed to android would be required, content providers will want HDTV devices to support HD apps... Googlecast is licensed for HD content... Android is not... 

For the limited users ONLY blocked on nvidia shield devices... (Google cast works on Nexus player and some Sony HDTVs from the NowTV app... ) that is not going to be done currently according to NowTV own staffers that posted...

The Device has only been on sale for over 6 months in the UK and this topic is not very full with users for a online only service... That forces users to come to this site to sign up Via PC...

Even cheaper Android 6.0 boxes are allready on the market but they also won't be supported...

Remix Mini, an Android PC 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

For the limited users ONLY blocked on nvidia shield devices... (Google cast works on Nexus player and some Sony HDTVs from the NowTV app... ) that is not going to be done currently according to NowTV own staffers that posted...

I don't the actual issue is that it's "blocked", I don't recall any of the NowTV staff actually saying that. I suspect the issue is more that it doesn't work correctly, as when you cast the Sheild successfully registers as one of your four devices (listed as a Chromecast as you'd expect) in your Now TV account. The splash screens come on etc. and the opening frame of the program appears, and it's clearly attempting to play, but suffers issues. 
At first the Nexus Player has issues with casting from Now TV, then did the Sony Android TVs, and Now TV were able to resolve these. I'm sure it's something that is capable of being fixed fairly simply if the Now TV guys decide to investigate. I understand they probably don't feel there's enough demand to do the investigation, and devote time to this issue, but you surely can't begrudge affected users asking them to do so. Surely that's one of the points of the forum, for Now TV to see the levels of users experiencing issues, and using that as a factor to determine where to put their resources?