cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Since Now tv have pretty much abandoned the Apple TV boxes I’ve deliberately stopped watching any new series on Sky the last few years. Happy days, I’m at that point where I can grab the few remaining shows I watch off iTunes instead, and Now Tv can be cancelled. I didn’t want this, I just wanted to have a bit of respect as a customer, but apparently Now Tv think they’re omnipotent. Sorry, I’ve taken my money elsewhere. I wonder just how many others have done the same over the last few years because you’ve failed to give us a half decent app that we deserved as paying customers. (I certainly bet it was certainly enough to cover the minor costs of developing a new app!)

nickmorc
Expert 2

Its a great shame that Sky continue to snub their Apple Tv customers Smiley Sad. It would be great if somone at Now Tv could just give us an honest answer as to why they will not update the app. Smiley Wink

I have been with Now Tv almost since the start and would love to have a better app, even it just allowed the option of My Tv. So not asking much.Smiley Very Happy

So the qustion today from a loyal subscriber is - what is the reason for Now Tvs unlove of the app.

On a happier note looking forward to watching The Hurricane Heist tonight. Smiley Happy

nickmorc
Expert 2

@nickmorcwrote:

Its a great shame that Sky continue to snub their Apple Tv customers Smiley Sad. It would be great if somone at Now Tv could just give us an honest answer as to why they will not update the app. Smiley Wink

I have been with Now Tv almost since the start and would love to have a better app, even it just allowed the option of My Tv. So not asking much.Smiley Very Happy

So the qustion today from a loyal subscriber is - what is the reason for Now Tvs unlove of the app.

On a happier note looking forward to watching The Hurricane Heist tonight. Smiley Happy

The Hurricaine Heist was excellent, well done Sky Cinema. Intrestingly the Apple product placement was everwhere in the film LOL

Anonymous User
Not applicable

"It would be great if somone at Now Tv could just give us an honest answer as to why they will not update the app"

They’ll never say this in a public forum, but it’s clearly about control. It’s relatively trivial to port an iOS app to tvOS, and so the only logical explanation must be that NOW TV doesn’t care about supporting Apple TV.

In short, they want you using a NOW TV box, not the Apple TV. Amazon got of its high horse about this a while back. NOW TV should too, but probably won’t.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Siri, integration with Apple’s new TV app, My TV section, Watch List, Recently Played....

*bangs head off wall*

It’s like you don’t like to keep your subscribers....
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Native HD coming to now tv later this year (assume new football season) I’d expect if we get an update it will be around then....
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
Native HD coming to now tv later this year (assume new football season) I’d expect if we get an update it will be around then....

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Sky will still need the 720p feeds for the older now TV boxes which weren't capable of 1080p. And besides, even if Sky did decide to send the ATV 1080p feeds the app itself could remain completely untouched.  It's comical really that Sky are only just moving to 1080p now when Amazon and Netflix are 4K HDR. I wonder if Sky will bump the audio into 5.1? Or will they keep pushing 2 channel stereo. Netflix of course made the move into Dolby Atmos a while back. 

One other feature which I personally find essrntial now is for apps to support frame rate switching. If your TV supports it, this allows a perfect sync between the frame rate of the content and the frame rate of the TV. All of the big ATV apps support it, except Now TV of course, and once you're used to it, there's no going back. It's a night and day difference.

If ever I use Now TV, which is very rare these days, it feels like going back in time. 1080p is a minor improvement to a service and app that frankly needs a total rebuild.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Even a "continue watching..." tab/button would make it immeasurably better.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Agree on frame matching feature

I don’t think any of the uk catch up apps support this yet on Apple TV from testing only Netflix and amazon as well as iTunes-it’s a fairly new feature so hopefully they will “catch up” bbc usually pretty good at using features although they still haven’t added subtitles even now tv have done that!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Frame rate matching works in iPlayer too. I never use ITV or 5 so I can't comment on those.