cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please god nowtv I'm praying your holding back for the new Apple t

So.....new Apple TV out September hopefully with a new TVOS specific app!!???
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also, given the paucity of decent UK-centric TV apps, I imagine Apple would be overjoyed to see a proper NOW TV app. But given that even the BBC can’t be bothered with the platform, it’s pretty clear Apple TV is – for whatever reason – effectively dead as far as UK companies are concerned. It’s hard to know why, but there you go.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigitalI'm sure your posts are helpful to many users on other boards, but can you please stop posting on the Apple TV board. You clearly don't understand how the Apple App store eco system works and the information you post is not only inaccurate but becoming unhelpful.

The Apple tv App Store works in exactly the same way the iOS App Store does. Brands can build and submit apps on their own, using whatever developer they choose, providing the finished app doesn't break any of Apple's guidelines. And by guidelines we not talking UI guidelines, it's more about build stability and content: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

Going by what NowTV staff has told us on this very board, yes the current app on the 4th gen Apple TV is built by Apple (it seems to just be a port of the 3rd gen proprietary app), however NowTV/Sky are still responsible for it. They have stated as much. 

There is nothing stopping NowTV/Sky from building a new app with whatever developer they wish to use - much in the same way they have released various versions of their NowTV app on iOS. 

What Apple allows NowTV/Sky to do is everything on this page: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/ . What NowTv/Sky want to do is clearly a lot less than what Apple allows. Apple don't want to make apps for content providers, they give the content providers the platform and tools to easily build apps themselves for their hardware. NowTV/Sky have chosen not to use these tools and it's NowTV/Sky to build a better app, not Apple's
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks very good and informative post..I wonder if it's because a lot of nowtv users on the Apple TV platform are still on the older models?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I don't have the data, but suspect the 4th has surpassed the 3rd gen in terms of sales. Either way, the 4th gen is the only one you can actaully buy and that is fully supported by Apple still. Even if a new app were to come out, Apple would let the older models run the older software (like they do with Netflix for example).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good point!

Perhaps Sky are holding back on a TVOS app to provide the new sky Q online only version due 2018 as an app for TVOS now that could be very interesting especially if it delivers UHD!?

unlikely I know given their investment in ROKU.

P