cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Option to disable live tv channels on new Apple TV

I'm forever hopeful that when the new Apple TV launches on Friday, the new Now TV app will allow the live TV channels to be disabled. I'm legally licence free and have been for some time now and have no interest in watching things live. Everything we watch is on demand now. It'd be great if the new app which will likely have more features will include an option in the settings to get rid of the live element, for those who want to.

Come on Sky, give the people what the want!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I forgot to say that we can't anyway for another reason. A lot of our agreements for TV shows stipulate that we have to broadcast the shows on live channels in order to be able to show them via catch up or on demand. If we were to allow blocking of the live section, we wouldn't be able to make certain shows available.

That's the reason why our entertainment package isn't available on YouView.

Thanks,

Tom

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's very unlikely we'll ever introduce such an option. I expect it'd cause more issues than it would solve, as people may forget they've switched the channels off, then contact us asking where they are.

To be completely honest, I don't really understand why having such an option would be of use? A quick option in the menus to disable live channels would mean it was just as quick to enable the channels too. I don't think somebody inspecting your equipment would see any difference between that and you having a menu option to watch live TV that you promise you don't use?

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I see what you're saying but, if an option buried deep in the settings has been changed, it's a good guess they'll be able to remember they'd changed it and know how to change it back again.

Without getting too bogged down in the cons of the BBC TV Licence, of course we all know that merely having access to live tv does not necessitate purchasing a licence. Only the act of viewing/recording live does. And if a goon ever made it past the dog/wife then good luck to him!

It's true that most wouldn't use it or need it, but for the few of us out there that don't use this particular feature of Now TV, it'd be really useful.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I forgot to say that we can't anyway for another reason. A lot of our agreements for TV shows stipulate that we have to broadcast the shows on live channels in order to be able to show them via catch up or on demand. If we were to allow blocking of the live section, we wouldn't be able to make certain shows available.

That's the reason why our entertainment package isn't available on YouView.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User-R I suspected something like that would also be a consideration.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User no worries, it's a question I've seen a few times which isn't a normal service thing, so I thought it'd be nice to provide a little insight 🙂

Tom