cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moroboshi
Expert

Re: New Apple TV version 4 support

@Hippykiller2000 wrote:
They've made a few tweaks but nothing noticeable. Added All4 to it, but that's only got about 6 shows, what's that all about? Added the other sports passes finally, then added the kids section. It's just been money making changes to boost profits. So disappointed they won't improve the user experience. It's probably due to having to hand a chuck of the subscription to Apple if people subscribe through iTunes. Less profit for them so they do the least development on that platform. In other words, back of the queue for development as we don't give them as much money. Might change given apples relaxation on how big of a slice they take from subscriptions (reduced from 30% to 10%).
If they put a lot of work into the UI they would save money in the end as new pay TV customers would avoid costly Sky and opt for NowTV. No costly set top boxes, no satellite dish, no engineer to fit it, no call outs for hardware faults. It's a win win. Customers will get the same benefits to. Had to take a day off work and wait 2weeks for Sky instillation. Where as with NowTV, download the app, subscribe, 2mins v 2weeks and a days leave. No brainer really, but they don't advertise this or use it to there advantage against BT or Virgin. Buggers belief really.

None of those changes require changes to the app, as the app isn't really an app at all in the traditional sense. The old Apple TV 2 and 3 couldn't handle apps as you would find on a PC or phone. Instead, they run scripts hosted on an Apple server somewhere using predefined templates. They can't do much, little more than display text on a black background with some microscopic thumbnails. This is why all Apple TV 2 and 3 apps looked the same.

The Apple TV 4 has no such limitations, as it's bascially an iPhone 6 with an HDMI port and no screen. Its apps can be native iOS code with a few minor tweaks for the tvOS platform (which is 99.9% iOS). Apps can be as complex as developers like, so we have the likes of Netflix and MUBI, which are fully native iOS/tvOS code. 

Sadly Apple left the old script based "apps" from the Apple TV 3 as an option for the Apple TV 4, which whilst allowing the platform to launch with a passable selection of legacy apps, also meant that the most bone idle of developers need never write a native Apple TV 4 app. 

The downsides to these legacy apps are obvious, - they're graphically like something from a 1980s PC, they can't do much beyond playing video and displaying lists of text, and as they're hosted on a server and not on the local hardware they're sluggish and clunky. They also have no access to any of the new features on the ATV 4, such as Siri, top shelf, or visual scrubbing.

Sky are lazy and arogant. It's sadly as simple as that.

This post has been archived

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

commanda6 Legend 5
Legend 5

@moroboshi wrote:

None of those changes require changes to the app, as the app isn't really an app at all in the traditional sense. The old Apple TV 2 and 3 couldn't handle apps as you would find on a PC or phone. Instead, they run scripts hosted on an Apple server somewhere using predefined templates. They can't do much, little more than display text on a black background with some microscopic thumbnails. This is why all Apple TV 2 and 3 apps looked the same.

The Apple TV 4 has no such limitations, as it's bascially an iPhone 6 with an HDMI port and no screen. Its apps can be native iOS code with a few minor tweaks for the tvOS platform (which is 99.9% iOS). Apps can be as complex as developers like, so we have the likes of Netflix and MUBI, which are fully native iOS/tvOS code. 

Hi @moroboshi

That's a nice explanation of the core differences between the Apple TV 3 and Apple TV 4 Smiley Happy

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

0 Thanks
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Breaking_Bad,

There was an issue where this was happening,

it was an additional error when the show was being categorised, it was quickly removed.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

0 Thanks
Highlighted
moroboshi
Expert

@Simon-J

My goodness, a rare sighting of a staff member. Sadly ignoring, as usual, the elephant in the room and focussing on the trivial.

Have you see the reviews for Now TV on the app store? So many one star ratings...  Are you also aware that you haven't bothered to update the Now TV "app" on the Apple TV in several years now?  Really quite remarkable for a big media company to treat paying customers so poorly.  Have you bothered to look at just how shockingly awful Now TV is on the Apple TV? How it's little more than a black screen with text and tiny thumbnails? How it has as much sense of branding and design about it as an MS-DOS application? How it's incredibly sluggish and unresponsive? How it lacks any useful functionality of any kind beyond playing video files? 

Have you ever heard of NETFLIX?

How about you do your job and post an official update on the Apple TV "app", with a date when it will get the re-write it so badly needs. Don't lie. Don't ignore this. We're all sick of the way we're treated on here. Enough.

Breaking_Bad
Scholar 3

@Simon-J thank you for getting back to me on this but can you please address the wider issue for this thread of releasing a statement that indicates a timescale and roadmap for the redevelopment of the Apple TV app?  thank you 

Rich-L
Elite 2

HI @Breaking_Bad,

Apologies for the late reply.

We don't currently have timescale or roadmap that we can release. However, we will try make an announce as soon as possible.

Sorry that we can't offer anything concrete at this stage.

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

0 Thanks
Miniman_7
Mentor

Funny, I'm sure we've heard that somewhere before.
Why don't you just acknowledge that the ATV4 platform is not a priority and therefore will never be updated?

Oh wait, it's not in the pre-prepared response script.
Disappointing from such a big company.

Speechless
Mentor

Agree with general opinions on very poor UI on AppleTV (particularly no recently played list...) however my issue relates to playback quality.

Despite all picture processing options on my Pioneer 428XD being set to off, and despite the AppleTV being able to choose resolution/refresh rate automatically for inputting to the TV I find that most of NowTV content sems to cope very poorly with motion to the extent that there is a subtle, but irritating, judder to anything that moves - most noticeable when film sequence pans left or right or when an object moves across the screen. For the worst example of this check out Wheeler Dealers - despite the resolution being good the flicker/judder with motion makes it very tiring on the eyes.

Have picked up on some rumours about 60hz vs 50hz and the suggestions of switching AppleTV output to 50hz but makeslittle/no difference. 

Are NowTV deliberately dropping framerate to save on bandwith?

Suffice to say that if this does not improve my subscription will be very brief.

Aemu
Advocate

The user experience on the Apple TV is pretty poor, trying to watch a series or box set is much harder than it needs to be as there's nothing that shows you what episodes you've previously watched! There's no 'my tv' list either, or any 'continue watching' functionality. Great content ruined by having to fight a half baked app.

Mobileste
Mentor

After waiting almost a year since any communication about an NowTV update from Sky, we are still no further on. This is no longer an update you can skimp on. I'm also cancelling my subscription, as there are better apps i.e. Netflix, TV Player, BBC iPlayer on the Apple TV App Store that take full advantage of the system.

An update isn't coming anytime soon.

I'm cancelling NowTV aswell

0 Thanks