cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Apple TV version 4 support

New Apple TV launches October 2015.

Will nowtv app be available on New Apple TV version 4 at launch.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User, @Anonymous User and anyone on this thread I may have unintentionally missed 🙂

The NOW TV app for the new Apple TV should be coming out soon, so please keep an eye out.

Thanks,

Rich

View solution in original post

300 REPLIES 300
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry if this has already been asked but will the NOW TV app be fully integrated into the Apple TV (like with Netflix)? I've just searched for Avengers Age of Ultron on my Apple TV knowing it to be on NOW TV and it only brought up the option to buy it from the iTunes store

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There are essentially three types of Apple TV 4 apps. The first, such as Netflix, are written hand in hand with Apple, and they're designed to show off the platform to its fullest. Americans get several of these full fat apps, but we just get Netflix, iTunes and Apple Music. They all support Siri Universal Voice Search, Top Shelf, Visual Scrubbing, and user interfaces which either use the white iOS 9 style white templates with lots of art and transparencies, or are written with fully custom user interfaces in true iOS code. Netflix is a 100% all dials on max Apple TV app. It sets the standard by which all other apps can be judged. 

The second type are Apple TV 4 apps written without Apple's help. They can do everything the first category can but they can't access Siri. Not yet anyway, but next year Apple will open up Siri to all apps. A good example of a really high end Apple TV 4 third party app would be MUBI. 

The last category are the ports. These are old Apple TV 2 or 3 "apps", but they're little more than pages of text on a black screen. They have none of the new Apple TV features or user interface. YouTube is a good example of a lazy port, and Now TV is another. 

The last category shouldn't exist, but laziness and corner cutting is surprisingly rife at big media companies. Sky may redo Now TV for the Apple TV someday, or they may not. I'm not holding my breath. I dare say Sky could have taken route one, and worked with Apple to create a state of the art platform selling Now TV app with all the trimmings including Siri. It's too bad for everyone that they didn't. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well it's fully intergrated with YouView so I hope they do the same with the Apple TV 4

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
Snip
You missed out the Biggest provider of Apple TV apps... The Extra type..
4th type of Apps, that are Never built by any of the service providers and are built by companies that sell their services to build apps for them... Many apps are never touched by any one at the company the user thinks they are viewing content from. These apps are all out sourced. There not ports there built to suit the app production companies standards only... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello lovely Now TV people. Can we have an update on the app refresh plans for Apple TV 4 and 3 please for the forthcoming year?

many thanks 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hello lovely Now TV people. Can we have an update on the app refresh plans for Apple TV 4 and 3 please for the forthcoming year?

many thanks 

Youll never ever get any thing out of NowTV that way...

No ones ever made any NowTV staff announce any thing before they are ready too from thier road map...

NowTV Apple TV apps were Not made by NowTV they were built by third party companies that build and release many apps as service for companies that agree to pay them...

( if your good with google you likely can find that service by searching...it not that important)

Currently NowTV have a choice to make continue with the past system or start from scratch with the Apple TV SDK and convert the IDevices system to a new template ( Alot of work when they have a working app allready...)

Expect a... thank you for your feed back post any time soon... lol from Now TV staffer as there not allowed to release unshedualed info... and not during Xmass break when understaffed...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've always found the staff. In particular Tom very helpful, and keen to listen and take on thoughts of the community.  

having been involved subsequently in conversations and test piloting I think posting the occasional suggestion and reminder of a desire on here isn't fruitless.  

I dont expect a reply with a confirmation of anything but it's nice to remind them that this is an area worth developing. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

Sorry but there's no news yet. My last comments here still stand.

As soon as there's any news, we'll let you know.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm getting pretty cheesed off waiting for a new Apple TV app. All we're asking for is the same app you have on every other platform, plus a couple of Apple TV things, - Siri search and Top Shelf. That's it. We pay you the same as a subscriber with a Roku or a PS4, so this is an entirely reasonable and logical expectation. 

It it doesn't help that you send out promo emails of new shows asking SUBSCRIBERS to "add to Watchlist". Now which Watchlist would this be? The one which is nowhere to be seen on your abysmal Apple TV app? 

The BBC managed to write iPlayer for TVOS from scratch in about 2 months. Tiny movie streaming service MUBI managed to do the same and put out one of the most beautiful apps on the platform. Sky have rousources far beyond MUBI, but so far all you've done is release a shoddy port of a truly atrotious and utterly bare bones Apple TV 3 app which should be an utter embarrassment to everyone on the Now TV team. 

Get on it. Hurry up. Spend some money. We don't care if you write it in house or farm it out. Just get it done. Take the Roku app and port it pixel for pixel, then add Siri and Top Shelf.  You've had enough time. You need to make this right. Now. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not really understanding all the morning about Siri search etc.. Only iTunes and Netflix currently have the feature.

Very sure this will come in time for Now TV, as well as BBC and TV player etc..

Look forward to the new launched app when it's ready