cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrZippy
Expert 2

Re: New Apple TV App...

Can you report the displayed app title bug too please?

On the Apple TV desktop the log scrolling name from the store is used, being truncated as on the desktop. Opposed to just 'Now TV'.

Hope this makes sense, the long scrolling version highlights apps features for when browsing the store.  The home screen doesn't scroll so just truncates.  Sister app Sky News has a long store name and just Sky News on the home screen. 

This post has been archived

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@MrZippy will do 🙂

Tom

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

0 Thanks
MrZippy
Expert 2

I just setup my 2nd new Apple TV and the app title glitch wasn't present, so I reinstalled on the 1st device and that is fixed now. Odd one.

Anyway just watched latest episode of The Affair on the box I reinstalled the app, it still stalled at the end with a black screen, paused didn't work so wasn't video. Pressing menu did work, so this is a bug.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@MrZippy thanks for letting me know!

Tom

0 Thanks
moroboshi
Expert

@MrZippy wrote:

I hope this app was put up due to issues with a fully featured Apple TV 4 app, but anyway:

Ommissions:

1. No My TV section, so you can't see what you were watching, you have to search every time.

2. No titles display if in the top row on the home screen.

3. No now/next or live TV channel swapping whilst watching a live channel

4. No Siri integration, which I expected as this was supposed to be a lauch partner app.  Hopefully when Apple release the gerenal SDK for this it will still arrive.

Bar point 4 the Roku (and imagine other) Now TV apps have all these features, even the iOS one!

App bug:

The app title shown on the Appe TV home screen is the same as the one with the scrolling advertising text for the store, so it doesn't fit (or scroll).  It should be just NowTV on the Home Screen, the Sky News app is just Sky News on the Home Screen and that has a longer scrolling title in the App store - so it can be done.

The list goes on - 

5 - No thumbnail when scrubbing (which works great in iTunes and Netflix, try it!)

6 - No viewing history

7 - No resume play to pick up where you left off

8 - No progress bar beneath a video to show if you've watched it already

9 - TV schedule is just a tiny and crude looking list showing a single channel. Come on, TV guides have been full screen multi channel affairs for decades now. 

10 - And of course the big one..  it is completely devoid of the standardised Now TV user interface design as used on the Roku, PS3, PS4, Xbox One and so on. White text on a black background isn't a user inteface, it's a crude placeholder. It isn't acceptable.

The ugly UI is a big, BIG problem, but beyond that, the total lack of any of the new Apple TV functionality is inexcusable. The new device was sold on universal Siri voice search, that's why it exists. Doing a Siri search shows Netflix and iTunes results no problem, but Now TV is completely absent. Then you throw in the lack of a My List and you have to manually search, LETTER BY LETTER (!!!) every time you load up the app to find the show you want to watch. And unlike Now TV on every other platform, it doesn't even show you if you've already watched an episode.

Tom said that new features are added to the various Now TV apps on a gradual basis, so they won't all be in perfect sync. The new Apple TV app so far behind every other Now TV app it surely must be at the front of the queue for a total ground up re-write, and by that I mean in native iOS code, not TVML.  The current app is functional, only just, but the user experience is absolutely horrible and it's aesthetically terrible. The goal should be so simple - use the Apple TV's new features (as listed above) and give it the PS4/Roku user interface design. I know that requires work, but they have programmers and money, so such things are possible. Heck if they can program an app for a complex oddball architecture like the PS3, the Apple TV should be a total walk in the park.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Of all the devices I have tried the  picture quality is the best so far on ATV 4. App may still be in the transition phase but pic quality is amazing.

Tags (1)
0 Thanks
moroboshi
Expert

@Anonymous User wrote:

Of all the devices I have tried the  picture quality is the best so far on ATV 4. App may still be in the transition phase but pic quality is amazing.

I certainly wouldn't say amazing, it's clearly 720p, but it may be a little less over compressed than the PS4 feed. No idea why, the PS4 is a vastly more powerful system than an Apple TV. Netflix appear to use the same 1080p feed on all devices. 

Now TV is also only 2.0 channel stereo. 5.1 has been around for decades now, and yet again Netflix (and Amazon) have been streaming 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus for years. 

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Apple TV is the only device which uses 720. I think all the rest are SD. Even the 720 on the Apple TV doesn't nearly match the quality of other streamed services, in terms of sound, picture quality or frame rate. 

Sky obviously want to push people to buy the Sky HD box and subscription (at least, that's been the easiest way to get everything with the best picture quality and ease of use) to date. The annoucement coming in a few days might change all that, of course - and it should. The standard set top box is not the future. 

0 Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User sport is offically 720p on most devices now http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality although watching Sky Atlantic, Sky One and Sky Living on my NOW TV these are higher than SD and I'd expect them to actually be 720p. I'm guessing "entertainment" still listed as SD because Comedy Central isn't as good as the others.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry - you're quite right. It used to be (until quite recently) the Apple TV was the only one in 720p.

0 Thanks