cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Apple TV App...

So we finally got the old Now Tv app ported over from ATV 3 to the New Apple TV (ATV4 if you will) after much whinging... When will we get one that's actually made for ATV4? That is now the new question!
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Of all the devices I have tried the  picture quality is the best so far on ATV 4. App may still be in the transition phase but pic quality is amazing.

I certainly wouldn't say amazing, it's clearly 720p, but it may be a little less over compressed than the PS4 feed. No idea why, the PS4 is a vastly more powerful system than an Apple TV. Netflix appear to use the same 1080p feed on all devices. 

Now TV is also only 2.0 channel stereo. 5.1 has been around for decades now, and yet again Netflix (and Amazon) have been streaming 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus for years. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Apple TV is the only device which uses 720. I think all the rest are SD. Even the 720 on the Apple TV doesn't nearly match the quality of other streamed services, in terms of sound, picture quality or frame rate. 

Sky obviously want to push people to buy the Sky HD box and subscription (at least, that's been the easiest way to get everything with the best picture quality and ease of use) to date. The annoucement coming in a few days might change all that, of course - and it should. The standard set top box is not the future. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User sport is offically 720p on most devices now http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality although watching Sky Atlantic, Sky One and Sky Living on my NOW TV these are higher than SD and I'd expect them to actually be 720p. I'm guessing "entertainment" still listed as SD because Comedy Central isn't as good as the others.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry - you're quite right. It used to be (until quite recently) the Apple TV was the only one in 720p.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User whilst it's only recently they've changed the numbers on the help page, I'd say for at least a year, most live channels have been 720p on the NOW TV boxes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been waiting for this also.  Not installed yet but not hearing great things about it.  Yes, it is there, but it doesnt sound like 'The future of television is here'? 

Do I take it that there is no siri search integrated? Which is what the whole song and dance was on ATV4 at the launch event? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's clear that this App is the ATV3 app modified for ATV4. It's a start at least. Let's hope a new all singing ATV4 one is in the works sooner rather than later. Maybe it's as well that we're at this stage. One app I downloaded last night has already had a revision issued. 

I think we can all agree that despite this not being ideal, a working modified ATV3 App is much more favourable than none, as was the case earlier in the week. 

Some assurance that a bespoke ATV4 app is in the works would be nice, however we all know that that's not the way Sky plc works. 

Onwards ....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The current app is a joke. The user interface is beyond ugly, but that's just the start. There no "my list", no viewing history, no Siri voice search, and it does zero when placed on the top shelf (compare that to what Netflix does!). 

Abysmal, truly abysmal. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have now tv! It's going to be updated to the same level as other platforms so everyone stop being little whiny bitches and wait, there's more to life than complaining all the time. Forums really are full of idiots. It's frustrating to read. *sigh*
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Bug:

When an epsiode finishes it just sticks at a black screen unitl you press menu.

Nice to see it's well tested...