cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Movies not in 5.1

On AppleTV, both Netflix and iTunes movies are delivered in 5.1 Surround.

I've subscribed to Sky Movies via my AppleTV only to find that such movies are only streamed in stereo. This is extremely disappointing, given that Sky's competitors can offer content in 5.1.

This is the primary reason why I will not be continuing my Sky Movies subscription.

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

I will send you an email.

keep an eye out please for it 🙂

Cheers 

James

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's a really poor and sub-standard response.

Surely, it would be preferable to provide a reason why 5.1 surround sound isn't available on Sky Movies, or when it will become available.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep me too. Sounds awful on my receiver. II could get past the 720 picture. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm using the trial version but won't be subscribing if there is no 5.1 support, any news?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for posting, at the moment there is date/plan for 5.1 but should this come to fruition we'll make customers aware on our website so keep an eye out.

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just bought latest now TV box and it is only giving stereo through my av receiver.  I see lots of people have the same problem so what is the solution please?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have just bought latest now TV box and it is only giving stereo through my av receiver.  I see lots of people have the same problem so what is the solution please?

There is no solution....

MANY MANY IPTV streaming services are NOT 5.1 audio there normaly AAC 2.0 audio that people buy Music and watch many online videos in stereo...

Services that provide 5.1 audio are currently the EXCEPTION not the rule in IPTV... and many content providers (TV and film studios) do not provide IPTV versions in nothing but stereo...

Even IF NowTV moved to AAC 5.1 many films would still be stereo only... 

Movie studios STILL have a big investment in BD and DVD... Blu-ray is where PCM,  DTS MA and Dolby true HD provide up to 7.1 audio channels... and included a lot higher quality video to go with it...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I always got the impression that Now TV was something Sky threw together because they had to. Netflix and Amazon were on the rise so they needed to be there too, but of course with a legacy satellite business to prop up they had to cripple Now TV. 

Nerflix and Amazon aren't just 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus, they're increasingly in 4K now. The stuff that isn't in 4K is 1080p, and at a far higher bitrate than Now TV. The gulf in quality over Now TV is astronomical. 

People subscribe to Now TV for Game of Thrones and a few other exclusives. The service itself, and of course the apps (with the Apple TV app being so awful it's genuinely surprising) are really poor.

The day will come sometime when Now TV has more subscribers than the legacy satellite service. Perhaps then the service will get finally improve. I'm not holding my breath. Sky don't want Now TV to succeed. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Its a reason why I won't be renewing the movies package once my subscription is up.