cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update Now TV app for apple TV

Will the Now TV app for Apple TV ever get an update?

The current version is complete rubbish and makes me regret ever getting a Now TV pass.

Unless there is an update my Now TV experience will be very short indeed.

2,755 REPLIES 2,755
Anonymous User
Not applicable

sorry @SeeMoreDigital this isn't about front doors, UI or even who has physical control over the app. The point of the post was to give links to fellow subscribers to report problems to Apple . I thought you might be happy with that!?!?

If you look at a couple threads, NowTV are suggesting they have no real control over the App, yet every avenue suggested to make contact with whoever does leads you to NowTV's site! That's a fact. If you follow the links sent to me by NowTV staff in this forum it eventually tells goes in a circle and tells you to contact NowTV, later in the same thread NowTV staff explicity state to contact NowTV who will resolve (as escalte to Apple where necessary). However things aren't being done, so I decided to post links to where subscribers can send their conerns too.

Also (separately), with regards to you quoting my sentence stating Sky being the app's developer, whoever actaully makes it and why its not working are irrelevent for the customer. Whatever you may be personally deducing about who controls, develops or desings the app by looking at, using, or evern tearing apart the source code, the simple fact is SKY/NowTV are legally listed as the develop and therfore are responisble for resovling issues, not necessarily fixing the problems themselves. I'm not the first person to post this link but it clearly states Sky being the developer. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/now-tv-watch-latest-movies-must-see-shows-biggest-games/id734383600?...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Despite numerous requests and suggestions for improvements to the Now TV app on Apple TV 4, there still hasn't been an update in well over a year now. There have been plenty of promised to 'pass requests to the development team' but nothing seems to happen. Can you please update us? Is the app abandoned by Now TV or can we expect an update to actually be forthcoming?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Currently all updates for the Apple TV app are handled by Apple although we feed back reports and issues to them ultimately they handle all updates. We're working closely with them at the moment and hope to have a update rolled out soon to manage some issues that have been on going.

Cheers

Eddie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User, either you misunderstood the question or don't know how apps and Apple TV works. Now TV makes an app. They submit that app to Apple. Apple approves that app. The app then gets rolled out and made available to all Apple TV users. If there are bugs in the app Now TV makes, it is up to Now TV to update the app and then submit that updated app to Apple. Once approved, that gets rolled out to all Apple TV users. But there have been no updates to the Now TV app on Apple TV 4 for over a year. And that has got nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Now TV. I really hope you just misunderstood the question and weren't trying to take me a for a fool and shift blame.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

I didn't misunderstand your question. I work for Now TV and can you tell you that all updates are managed by Apple. We provide the information to them and they then build an update around that information and roll it out. And as i said we are currently working with Apple to roll out an update based on feedback from the forum and test users.

Thanks

Eddie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

You know there's a difference with Apple TV 4 and previous Apple TV boxes? Earlier Apple TV boxes are managed with Apple, but the Apple TV 4 has an App Store that works as I described with the onus on Now TV not Apple. Are Now TV working on updating their app for Apple TV 4 that hasn't been updated for over a year?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think @Anonymous User's responses can be taken to mean the the Now TV app is abandonware on the Apple TV. It seems they have no intention of creating a new app for the Apple TV 4, but instead are content to keep around (and occassionally bugfix) the horrible app developed for Apple TV 2/3.

It's a shame. My subscription has been cancelled for a few months now, but I've been monitoring this forum in the hopes a new app would come out. It's not going to happen.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User, did you seem my comment about difference between Apple TV 2 and 3 and the new Apple TV 4 which has an app store? Apple TV 4 is a Now TV app that sits on the App Store and any updates (or lack thereof) are down to Now TV and not Apple. Is there an update to the app for Apple TV 4 coming? Hasn't been any updates for well over a year.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi @Anonymous User

So the app on the AppleTV4 is built by Apple yet published by Sky(NowTV).Correct? Is there a legal or contractual reason for Sky/Nowtv to keep with this arrangement or can you use another developer (say your iOS ones) to make a app suitable for the tvOS platform? If the latter, is it a cost or strategic issue for Sky? Why develop for any set top box other than your own if it's a policy thing? 

I understand bulding and maintinaing apps costs money, however EVERY other platfrom Now TV is availbe on has had an update since the AppleTV app was ported over from the AppleTV2&3 and realesed in the App Store. If it's just a decision for Sky to ignore the platfrom and hope it dies, at least let us paying customers know. If there is no roadmap for impleneting an update or one being considered beause of contractual issues, again please let us know. 

Also, you state updates are "based on feedback from the forum", yet NONE of the universally requested features found in 'feeback from the forum' has found its way to the app (from basic things found in your apps on all other platforms, to more complex AppleTV stuff like system wide Siri integration).

Seperatly I find it hard to believe that an app that is solely the responabilty of Apple would not even have had a bug fix since launch given how many techincal issues it has (constantly crashing the hardware for example).

If the app isn't going to be updated, please just let us know and stop giving us false hope.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

I didn't misunderstand your question. I work for Now TV and can you tell you that all updates are managed by Apple. We provide the information to them and they then build an update around that information and roll it out. And as i said we are currently working with Apple to roll out an update based on feedback from the forum and test users.

Thanks

Eddie

I'm stunned that sometime of such technical ineptitude manages to hold a job. You have no idea how apps are developed. 

Apple TV 4 apps are written by third parties, ie.Netflix, the BBC, and Sky. So stop trying to excuse Sky's contempt for paying customers. Sky could have updated the Apple TV Now TV app dozens of times by now if they had given a damn.