NOW TV Essential Planned Works 27/04/2017 Affecting Broadband Click here for more info
Occasional Poster

Re: Geo blocked uk

I'm being geo-blocked as of this week.

All my internet traffic (work and private) goes over either a VPN router of VPN software client (it's company policy for working at home).

The VPN servers for private traffic are in the UK, I can choose between half a dozen if one of them is sluggish or down.

NowTV been working for about a year, no problems, but as of this week, I get "You are connecting to NOW TV in a region that is not supported" on the NowTV box as soon as I select to watch a program on Entertainment or Movies. Equivalent service refusal with the NowTV iPad app (no difference whether connected to VPN router or using OpenVPN client). Tried all the usual restarts/resets and checked routing tables haven't been skewed.

No other streaming service (Sky Sports mobile, Eurosport Player UK) has  a problem. Just NowTV has changed something this week.

If I jump the VPN and connect directly to my BT Infinity hub, everything works, but that is not a permanent solution.

If someone from NowTV support can confirm there has been a change, at least I'll know where I stand.

Champion 1

CricketWatcher wrote:

If someone from NowTV support can confirm there has been a change, at least I'll know where I stand... 

Hi @CricketWatcher,

NOW TV don't support the use of VPN's. They never have. And pro-actively disable access to their service to anyone using them. Even if the are based within the UK.

Cheers

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer just like you! •

NOW TV Box = Model no: Black box | Software: 7.5.3 Build: 4068-10 | NOW TV app: 3.10.49 • LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 32LN575V | Software: 04.28.14 | OS: NetCast •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.19.2 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

Occasional Poster

SeeMoreDigital wrote:

CricketWatcher wrote:

If someone from NowTV support can confirm there has been a change, at least I'll know where I stand... 

Hi @CricketWatcher,

NOW TV don't support the use of VPN's. They never have. And pro-actively disable access to their service to anyone using them. Even if the are based within the UK.

Cheers

Thanks for the info!  I get the same message by googling the problem, but for some reason everything worked for me until this week. Anyway, I never expected NowTV to support VPN, just not to get in the way of folks who use state-of-the art security and know what they're doing.

I don't know how NowTV expects us to use our mobile devices when staying in hotels. Over unsecure hotel wifi without VPN security? Surely not.

I got my helpful ISP to check. It really is NowTV blocking.

I've cancelled Cinema and Entertainment; Sports was weekly, so not auto-renewing.

But happy to renew if NowTV network engineers can see common sense and put back what thy've broken.

Highlighted
Champion 1

CricketWatcher wrote:

I've cancelled Cinema and Entertainment; Sports was weekly, so not auto-renewing.

But happy to renew if NowTV network engineers can see common sense and put back what thy've broken.

As VPN's are being used as a primary tool to provide illegal access to NOW TV content to people who are not resident within the UK, I can't see your wish coming true anytime soon.

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer just like you! •

NOW TV Box = Model no: Black box | Software: 7.5.3 Build: 4068-10 | NOW TV app: 3.10.49 • LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 32LN575V | Software: 04.28.14 | OS: NetCast •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.19.2 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •