cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Apple TV 4th Gen Feedback

I was wondering if there was any update on the Apple TV 4th Gen app.

It's been a number of months since I posted (‎12-04-2016 19:22😞

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Apple-TV/Apple-TV-4th-Gen-Feedback/m-p/409084#M2910

Feature Requests

• Mark as Watched so I know where I'm up to in a series
  • Currently watching group - go to current episode of that series

I can understand making the first version of the app look like the Gen 3 version but given the unlimited control as to what you can make now with the 4th Gen it's strange new features haven't been added.

It was also worryed to see a post stating that it wasn't possible to implement features due to limitations in the platform, which was a complete lie. Netflix even managed some of the useful features like watched on the 3rd gen, so there is no excuse.

Granted development works goes into the most popular platform and I don't know the split but I'd guess the AppleTV doesn't get the most users but improving it would be a way to get people to use it.

Looking forward to a response,

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D Hopefully you can prove us wrong, but so far Sky/Nowtv have shown that they can not care less for the Apple TV platform...  its disappointing and frustrating to say the least. Would be fantastic to have the ability to say 'Siri find the latest episode of "x"' - and for the Now TV app to open with the relevant programme. Sadly I do not think this will ever happen; at least in my lifetime with the current 0 level commitment level to keeping applications up to date.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have just been asked to take part in the now tv trial for the beta version on samsung 2016 TVs. The app is good with a nice simple interface, it remembers all the programs you are currently watching and the progress in each one. It also has the My tv function. I would still rather watch through an updated Apple TV 4 app. as the samsung remote is too fiddly with poor button positioning. The Apple tvs video control over scrubbing alone is a great.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
I have just been asked to take part in the now tv trial for the beta version on samsung 2016 TVs...

Hi @Anonymous User,

Just-so-you-know... This forum offers a dedicated Samsung TV sub-section which can be found here: Samsung TV.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
I have just been asked to take part in the now tv trial for the beta version on samsung 2016 TVs. The app is good with a nice simple interface, it remembers all the programs you are currently watching and the progress in each one. It also has the My tv function. I would still rather watch through an updated Apple TV 4 app. as the samsung remote is too fiddly with poor button positioning. The Apple tvs video control over scrubbing alone is a great.

That's really frustrating. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Samsung 2016 TVs run a version of Android TV? If Sky can port the Android app to Samsung/Android TV, then why can't they do the same with porting the iOS app to tvOS? It really does stink of politics versus any technical hurdles.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any news on this?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I share the anger. Just a couple of points, before the 4th gen Apple TV there was no App Store, so on 2/3 gen the NowTV app was written by Apple (like YouTube and Netflix apps). Or at least controlled and released my them. Someone mentioned the iPlayer proof of concept. That was built on a beta of tvOS for 4th gen.

tvOS is iOS, its only slightly different. One YouTube app and Netflix app works for iOS and tvOS. It’s just like Android for TV’s.

The lack of subtitles on the old 4th gen app is my main issue. It’s unlawful. They have the subtitles data (on Sky, on Pick!). Live news programs have subtitles.

i would encourage people to contact NowTV in writing. Even if you dont’ Need subtitles, say you do 😉 it motivates them. Big fines for breaking the law.

Anonymous User
Not applicable