cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Apple TV 4K Now TV App performance

Hi All,

Im just waiting for delivery on my new apple tv 4K box ive read that is set as always on 4K/HDR (not sure if the Hz is configerable from 60/50 HZ yet.

Has anyone already recived there 4K Apple TV and if they have can they post the NOWTV App performance (and any other UK apps-BBC Iplayer/TV Iplayer etc)

Im hopeing that with the box natively upscalling so the TV will always think its a 4K source we will see a bump in picture stability and performance.

Im worried about possible refresh rate restrictions...?

Thanks

Paul

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi All,

Im just waiting for delivery on my new apple tv 4K box ive read that is set as always on 4K/HDR (not sure if the Hz is configerable from 60/50 HZ yet.

Has anyone already recived there 4K Apple TV and if they have can they post the NOWTV App performance (and any other UK apps-BBC Iplayer/TV Iplayer etc)

Im hopeing that with the box natively upscalling so the TV will always think its a 4K source we will see a bump in picture stability and performance.

Thanks

Paul

Picked mine up from the Apple Store yesterday and so far I'm really pleased with it.

What you've read about the video output setting is totally incorrect. Just go to video settings click on the chosen default (4K HDR / 60Hz}) and it will bring up a short list of other options, select the bottom option (Other Formats) and it will bring up further output settings

Performance and picture on the apps you mentioned is really good.

Did find the picture a bit bright for my liking but a little bit of tweaking of my picture settings for the Apple Tv HDMI input on my tv was easy enough to do.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks

Paul

Picked mine up from the Apple Store yesterday and so far I'm really pleased with it.

What you've read about the video output setting is totally incorrect. Just go to video settings click on the chosen default (4K HDR / 60Hz}) and it will bring up a short list of other options, select the bottom option (Other Formats) and it will bring up further output settings

Performance and picture on the apps you mentioned is really good.

Did find the picture a bit bright for my liking but a little bit of tweaking of my picture settings for the Apple Tv HDMI input on my tv was easy enough to do.

You're missing the point. The new ATV is incapable of switching formats on the fly, so if you select HDR, you're in HDR for everything. This seriously damages non HDR content.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That’s sounds like good news thanks for your post 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What setting did you go for by the way.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
What setting did you go for by the way.

I'm using 4K HDR / 50Hz

Tried Chroma at 4:2:2 but I did get a odd bit of picture judder so I've reset that to 4:2:0 and its working flawlessly

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks I got mine last night set for the same settings and agree looks good

It handles video much better than the older Apple TV non 4K I think this could be that my TV thinks it’s a 4K native source so isn’t trying to do any upscalibg leaving it all to the Apple TV

No worries if they could just update the app/improve the bitrate and introduce HD streams (I’m willing To pay more for that) I’m a happy chap

🙂