cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Your device has been modified and now Now TV is broken - Sony XPeria Z tablet

Probably the same as the Hudl 2 post. My Xperia Z tablet has been migrated to 5.1.1 and by official Sony updates, 5.1 and now 5.1.1. As soon as it went to 5 Now TV started whining that the device had been modified and it would no longer run. I even hid my soldering iron as I thought this was probably the only physical way of "modifying" the device! As this was an official Sony update, the device has never been rooted and Sony aren't what you might call a small company I rather thought a solution would be forthcoming. However, several months down the line, an even newer software update from Sony, not side loaded or anything else of that nature, and the problem still persists. It can't be beyond Sky's budgets to go out and get a Hudl 2 and a couple of Sony tablets, reproduce the issue and fix it! 

I have tried, at Now TV's insistance, a complete device reset, have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, cleared caches and app data and still it whines on. To be honest I've uninstalled it and basically given up on it, but just by some slim chance it does ever get fixed I'll keep an eye on this thread.

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Can I just check that your using the latest NOW TV App for Android ?

There was an update last week that ersolved this issue for many devices with the same issue.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, I've just installed the latest from the Play store but the device continues to tell me it's been modified and still refuses to play anything.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

+1 for this on a OnePlus One running Cyanogen. AFAIK the OS isn't rooted by default (certainly I can't escalate privileges in a terminal session).

The NowTV L1/L2 Dilberts at the end of the chat window couldn't help. If there are any NowTV dev's who read these posts - please confirm your app works on non-rooted OPO's

😕

Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Please can you let us know if you are still experiencing this issue? 

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? The only other option is if you can back up your phone, and try to factory reset your phone.

Thanks, 

Karl

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Karl,

As I mentioned in my post I deleted and re-installed the app and have done a factory reset of the device but I am still experiencing the issue.

I concluded that the error message only comes after the device has interacted with the NowTV service so I've removed it from my devices list. The tablet now correctly says it's not in my list. However, I'll now need to wait unitl Feburary before I can re-add the device in!! So the next test can't be attempted for several weeks!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

You should be able to test it now. Let us know what happens.

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Birgit,

Thanks for doing that. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference. So how in the world does it "know" that the device has been modified when the device has been wiped and the device profile removed from NowTV?! Surely the app developers must know under what circumstances this error message is produced, some input here might lend a bit of clarity.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just had an update from the Play store but the problem still persist. This surely is a reason why DRM, as I'm lead to believe is the root cause for this issue, is so crap; great idea for copyright holders, content providers and big corps but utter rubbish for the end user.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

That's pretty much it - our app can detect (don't know the exact way) whether or not the app has been modified. And you're correct by saying that this is to protect the studios and content providers to make sure no one can copy the shows. 

Very sorry about this 😞

Birgit

NOW TV Team