cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Your device has been modified and now Now TV is broken - Sony XPeria Z tablet

Probably the same as the Hudl 2 post. My Xperia Z tablet has been migrated to 5.1.1 and by official Sony updates, 5.1 and now 5.1.1. As soon as it went to 5 Now TV started whining that the device had been modified and it would no longer run. I even hid my soldering iron as I thought this was probably the only physical way of "modifying" the device! As this was an official Sony update, the device has never been rooted and Sony aren't what you might call a small company I rather thought a solution would be forthcoming. However, several months down the line, an even newer software update from Sony, not side loaded or anything else of that nature, and the problem still persists. It can't be beyond Sky's budgets to go out and get a Hudl 2 and a couple of Sony tablets, reproduce the issue and fix it! 

I have tried, at Now TV's insistance, a complete device reset, have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, cleared caches and app data and still it whines on. To be honest I've uninstalled it and basically given up on it, but just by some slim chance it does ever get fixed I'll keep an eye on this thread.

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The thing is nothing has been modified on the device expect legitimate Android updates direct from Sony! Will there ever be a solution? Can I post bug reports to the developers?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The Z2 OS update was broken when moved to 5.1.1 its not the only app that died because of the Sony mobiles error...

The Z1s and Z3 have allready had the Sony created errors patched by Sony as long ago as the 12/12/2015..

Z2 has not...

Don't by Lenovo tabs either they also broke there update...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Birgit,

So basically you're saying tough luck, you device is no longer supported? Is this because NowTV relies on SilverLight which is not really being updated?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it has nothing to do with Silverlight. All Sky apps run some checks on the device to check for root status, if they told you exactly what they were people would try to find workarounds. Sky's methods have been pretty secure and I'm unaware of a single work around. However occasionally these produce false positives and then Sky/NOW TV need to find out why. On some occasions it's because manufactures have left bits of code from testing around which flag phones as rooted and those require a further software update from your manufacturer, other times Sky will modified their code.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi artesea.

Thanks for the helpful post. I can see now what I couldn't before, and also why the last few NowTV app patches could work around this issue on some devices but not others. So the solution will have to wait until the NowTV app developers can see a workaround for the Xperia Z tablets with Android 5.1 or Sony releases an update the the "offending" false positive removed. One of the root checkers told me that the device was not rooted but /sbin/su and some other files were present so maybe it's one of those files which is causing the false positive.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just wanted to confirm that the Sony tablet Z is nowtv supported device. I have this tablet, on android 5.1.1 and it works fine for me. I have to assume you have done something with your tablet, but couldn't guess what.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am using a tablet Z1, SPG321. The only thing that's happened to the tablet is the update pushed by Sony. NowTV worked fine when the tablet was running 4.4. Did you install NowTV before or after the update  to 5.1? I've done a device reset and reinstalled the app but it still doesn't work. Is it possible NowTV set somerhing in 4.4 that survived the reset? Nothing else has happened to the device.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I only just joined nowtv, so I already was on android 5.1.1 before I installed the app.
By device reset, i assume you mean a full factory restore???
And you keep mentioning 5.1, are you on 5.1.1? As that is the most recent version of Android for this tablet.
Don't know what else to suggest. Something has gone wrong on your tablet somewhere.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ignore me, I can see you've done factory reset and on 5.1.1. Don't know what to suggest. The app works fine on my tablet.
You definitely have never rooted the tablet or sideloaded any questionable apps or installed any custom Rooms???
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Samxool,

As far as I know nothing has happened to the device, although I can't say before I owned it. The root detection tools I have tried all tell me the device is not rooted, but because it isn't rooted they can't examine the state of the bootloader, but assuming it has never been rooted the bootloader should be fine also. I've never sideloaded any apps.

I keep having to go back to the fact that the app was happy and running just fine before the upgrade to 5.1. Please could you tell me a) was the app installed before or after your device was updated to 5.1 and b) you definitely have an SPG321.

If there was a way of going back to 4.4 I'd be happy to try reverting the device and trying NowTV again.

Thanks,