cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will there be a native for Sony Android TV?

Hello,

I'm using the casting function to my Sony Android TV. Will there be a fully fledged app for it?

Thanks.
Ashley

135 REPLIES 135
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User if it works it will be coincidence. New apps are tested by Now trialist. If they do one for Android TV, it will be announced and you can sign up. It means that you get to use it before it goes on full release and report issues. (NB some user issues are not regarded as issues by trial team as app was not intended to do what we users thought was issue)
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just purchased a Sony Bravia Android TV and was really surprised to find that NowTV is missing. I assumed it would be on there as every other app appears to be.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've just purchased a Sony Bravia Android TV and was really surprised to find that NowTV is missing. I assumed it would be on there as every other app appears to be.

When it comes to the wonderful world of 'apps', never assume anything @Anonymous User.

Indeed, although all 'smart' TV's offer the BBC iPlayer app. They don't all offer, ITV Hub, All4 and Demand5 catch-up service apps Smiley Surprised

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Like a lot of people posting on this forum, I unpacked and set-up my nice shiny new Sony TV (a KD49X8305C) expecting to be able to access NowTV directly from the TV's menus. I had made doubly-sure before purchase as I've just ditched my £44 Sky Variety pack for a £7 NowTV subscription and the 'expert' I spoke to in Currys reassured me that even if the NowTV application wasn't preloaded I could go to the Google Play Store "and download NowTV or anything else I want such as Chrome". WRONG! 

Of course there are workarounds - I can Chromecast or buy a NowTV box, but these are a bit "homebrew" compared to properly integrating NowTV in the same way Netflix, Youtube and several other delilvery systems have been.

Anyway... that's just a bit of background. My question is, this seems to be an official NowTV forum, but is anybody in Sky or NowTV listening? Are there any talks or plans with Sony to facilitate NowTV being supported on Sony TVs? 

If nobody in Sky/NowTV are paying attention to the forum and looking at a solution, is there any point in this forum - without this some support it is just a self-help talking shop - nice and interesting, but possibly of limited value.

Sky/NowTV... are you there????? 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...I had made doubly-sure before purchase as I've just ditched my £44 Sky Variety pack for a £7 NowTV subscription and the 'expert' I spoke to in Currys reassured me that even if the NowTV application wasn't preloaded I could go to the Google Play Store "and download NowTV or anything else I want such as Chrome". WRONG! 

Have you formally contacted Currys to tell them you are not happy with the information they gave you?!

If you specifically asked them about viewing NOW TV via an 'app' on the Sony (which it can't do), then you were 'miss-sold'. Which puts you in a good place to negotiate obtaining a product which can give you NOW TV. Such as a Roku stick, NOW TV 'black' or 'smart' box! 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Well Martin

A cynical rule of thumb, Currys doesn't have any experts, instead they have sellers who will say anything to sell their electrical goods.

The first port of call when doing research is checking out the manufacturers web-site, next check out user forums to find out the problems and shortcomings  manufacturers and sellers will not tell you about, finally only go to Currys when you have completed your research and ready to make your purchase.

A self-educated customer is a happy customer.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Very true words Bob! And I should know better.. however in the round I'm delighted with the Sony TV. Chances are I'd have bought it anyway (especially when I found the same model on sale at Argos for £180 less than at Curry's price which was a whopping £600 less than the equivalant Samsung). In effect I could have bought two Sonys for the price of one Samsung - and side-by-side the Sony had a better picture.. it only lacked a sexy chrome stand, but who buys a TV to watch its stand anyway!?

There are so many inter-connected features, services and options, I'm sure that if I'd selected a different TV with integrated NowTV then some other feature will be lacking (Netflix at 4K for example). But at the end of the day it is the picture quality that will trump all of these variables and I'm simply stunned with the KD49X8305C even with standard HD. And with the 4K material on Netflix it's simply unreal! 

Yes, buyer beware - but also beware of getting bogged down with "anaylsis paralysis" too! 🙂 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Martin

You know, to some extend I agree in part with your summary, you have done some research and concluded that the picture quality and purchase price was worth the cost, no one can argue with you about that.

Where you have a problem is when you accuse NowTV of not making an app for your TV and saying that this forum "...is just a self-help talking shop..." all because you did not do your research thoroughly enough.

I understand that you made certain assumptions when you were doing your research and unfortunately you guessed wrong, but can you really blame someone else because you assumed something that was wrong.  Personally, I've done the same thing, believed that a certain facility would be available on an electronic device that I bought but understood it was my fault for not checking.

Finally, with anything electrical we, as consumers, expect our devices to have more than the basic features but no-one or organisation promises us that these extra features will be available, so we have to insure that we are getting what we pay for and, if important enough, also getting what we expect.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

To cut through my waffle and to get back to my key question, which is "Are there any talks or plans with Sony to facilitate NowTV being supported on Sony TVs? "

I've looked on the Sony forum and the view there seems to be "This is upto Sky for whether they want this on Sony TVs." so I would hope here is the correct forum to find an answer to my question.

The obstacles with integrating NowTv into Sony TV systems must be a) political b) legal c) financial or d) technical.

Of course there is the remote chance that there aren't any issues and Sony simply haven't got around to implementing NowTV,  but I doubt this given how long people have been asking for this.

I also doubt there can be any technical issues that Sony and Sky can't resolve between them.

This leaves a political (Sony and Sky aren't talking/cooperating), legal (Sony won't allow Sky to integrate NowTV) or financial  (Sky won't pay Sony what they are asking for the feature). 

Which is the answer...?  Whilst us poor paying consumers can speculate all day, it is only the management within Sky and Sony who will know for sure. 

Hopefully someone looking in on the forum knows the answer and is willing to share it with their paying customers!  Even if the answer is "it will never happen", this has to be better than being left guessing.  🙂 

Any takers?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi Martin

I like you have a Sony Bravia and very eagerly await the final piece of the puzzle when it comes to a almost perfect all round TV. 

Please see below which is a comment from someone in the Now TV team from a post in February from this very fourm. Every few months I pester the staff via the chat to try and find out when its coming to Sony Braiva, I was informed very soon, which would go on par with the below comment. However I wasn't able to get a date, the sooner I can ditch the Now TV Smart box and have only one remote for laziness the better 🙂

Gavin

NOW TV Team

Re: Will there be a native for Sony Android TV?

Hi All

We're always looking for ways to improve our service and adding more devices to our platform is something that is always being worked on. Over the coming months more Smart TVs will be added. Information will be updated on our help centre when the Make and Models of the TVs are updated.

Cheers

Eddie

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help