cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What can I cast to?

I've had a Now TV box for a couple of years, and recently installed the Now TV app on my Samsung tablet. I figured to use it for navigation, and cast (or remotely control, or however you define it) shows and movies to my TV via the box. I've had no problems doing the same with Youtube apps on my android devices and Now TV box.

However, when I select a show and tap the 'cast to' button in the top right of the screen, a 'finding devices' box pops up with a loading bar that loads... and loads... and loads... and doesn't really find, or do, anything.

Can I ask, is the Now TV app actually compatible with the Now TV box?

9 REPLIES 9
BicBasher
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've had a Now TV box for a couple of years, and recently installed the Now TV app on my Samsung tablet. I figured to use it for navigation, and cast (or remotely control, or however you define it) shows and movies to my TV via the box. I've had no problems doing the same with Youtube apps on my android devices and Now TV box.

However, when I select a show and tap the 'cast to' button in the top right of the screen, a 'finding devices' box pops up with a loading bar that loads... and loads... and loads... and doesn't really find, or do, anything.

Hi @Anonymous User

The cast icon is used to cast NOW TV to Chromecast.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @BicBasher

Hi Warren

As @BicBasher said, you have to buy a Google Chromecast Device plug it into your TV to cast an enabled video from your android device to your TV.

Google Chromecast Device.jpg

A device like the above, the Google Chromecast, cost  £30 from Argos.

UK Bob

PS. I don't use one myself.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I'm puzzled @Anonymous User  why would you want to cast to the Now Box when it has the Now App on it?   If you want to cast other content from your phone you could try the Playto app on the box.   You can pair the Youtube app on the box with your phone too.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
BicBasher
Elite

@4268 wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

I'm puzzled @Anonymous User  why would you want to cast to the Now Box when it has the Now App on it?   If you want to cast other content from your phone you could try the Playto app on the box.   You can pair the Youtube app on the box with your phone too.

@4268 The confusion may be down to that you can cast Netflix to other devices.   I can cast Netflix for example to the smart tv and Amazon Fire TV in addition to Chromecast.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BicBasher why would you want to cast Netflix to Amazon box when you can just use the app on that?
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
BicBasher
Elite

@4268 wrote:
@BicBasher why would you want to cast Netflix to Amazon box when you can just use the app on that?

@4268 I agree, as I do the same, but there are people who may be checking out the Netflix app and want the ability to simply cast the app and select from their phone or tablet instead of the remote.

It's a nice, but non-essential thing to have.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi i can cast youtube to my now tv box but cant cast any movie sites to the now tv box why is that or is there something i can do to get the movie site onto my now tv box plus the plex app doesnt work never has why have apps if they dont work plus the amount of apps thats on the now tv i dont use any of them only you tube its a waste of memory they should put more apps on like movie site or let the cast have a wider range of site to cast

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Elaine

You don't know this but Now TV, some time ago, closed down any and all non-supported facilities that allowed their streaming boxes to use extra facilities.  Therefore, the only app that is allowed to cast to the boxes is YouTube

You see, that's why a good number of ex-Now TV box users, like myself, are now using the Roku 3 streaming box instead.  The Roku box is just like the Now TV black box but with none of the restrictions but costs about five times the price.

So your choice is to either stay with your current black box, along with it's restricted facilities, buy yourself a Roku streaming device (there are several models available), with lots more facilities, and/or buy a Google Chromecast device, which you can cast a lot more things to.

BTW, I have both a Roku 3 and a Chromecast device, I've found that having both devices has allowed a degree of flexibility and options that I could never have imagined a couple of years ago.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi again Elaine

As an addendum to my post above, I was thinking that if you got yourself just a Google Chromecast device, rather than Roku 3 or anything else, you could cast whatever you like to it without any restrictions.

For example, right now I'm listening to one of my favourite digital albums, which I've casted to my music system via my android tablet using Plex. I have also used Spotify to listen to online music as well as watching YouTube

In other words, all you need is a Google Chromecast device to use Now TV, play online music, Plex and anything else that's compatible with  Chromecast, which is a lot of stuff.

Plus, you should at this moment be able to get one on sale.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/smart-tv/google-chromecast-10137566-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=mpmmirrii&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0111%20(PLA)%20WK43%20Microwaves%20noms~Microwaves%20noms~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=c&ds_kids=92700028370059582&PLA=1&tgtid=0111%20(PLA)%20WK43%20Microwaves%20noms&gclid=CjwKCAiAo9_QBRACEiwASknDwcvdE0tSXVkr0G6yPuLXjR71JlrkhNM1N0vl86_D2MfCR5v8JP4UihoCwJkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

UK Bob