cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sim Card Error - Connection from this SIM card isn't supported - on Android 4.4.2 (Galaxy S4 mini)

Evening.

Trying to run the latest version of the Android app on Samsung Galaxy S4 mini (installed nowTV today - 6.1.1).

Getting the (subject) message - "Connection from this SIM card isn't supported." and an OK button and a heading of "Sim Card Error", when trying to launch skySportsF1 channel, which I have a subscription for.

I was running on WiFi and the Wifi only setting was on, but tried turning it off - no difference.

Can I do anything?

Any help much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User the app should work without a sim card even being in the phone.  I have used it on a device I have currently which does not even have a sim card in it.  Can you try clearing the cache of the app and the data?  If that doesn't work try a full uninstall and reinstall of the app on your device. If you get devices issues pop on to chat and they can help.

I appreciate you are in the UK but has there been any updates to your phone by the vendor which makes it appear otherwise?  Check it has not been rooted or accidentally set to make you look like you are outside of UK.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just in case:

Tried using just WiFi network or 4G - no diff, the error is still the same. And yes - I'm a very much physically located in England.

Why on earth would sky need access to my sim card at all?

Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User the app should work without a sim card even being in the phone.  I have used it on a device I have currently which does not even have a sim card in it.  Can you try clearing the cache of the app and the data?  If that doesn't work try a full uninstall and reinstall of the app on your device. If you get devices issues pop on to chat and they can help.

I appreciate you are in the UK but has there been any updates to your phone by the vendor which makes it appear otherwise?  Check it has not been rooted or accidentally set to make you look like you are outside of UK.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, I've now tried without SIM and it does work.

But overall it does make it even more strange, why would they check the SIM when it has been inserted and block it from working, if the sim is foreign - "are sky programmers extreme fans of brexit"?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

From the messsage your getting with the SIM inserted i would guess that the SIM card isn't reigstered to a UK provider and the NowTV app is picking up on that (The NowTV pretty much hooks into everything possible to try prevent you watching outside of the UK). If that is the case then the only option is to do as you have and as @4268 suggested and take out the SIM when using the NowTV app, or alternativly get a SIM for a UK network.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The NOW TV Team wrote on 14.03:

Hi T......,

Ref: 01838814

Thanks for contacting NOW TV.

Sorry to know that you're unable to enjoy NOW TV due to the sim card not supporting on the relevant device.

This concern can be sorted only via the mobile service provider, hence you can reach them for the same.

Hope this helps.

To contact us about this topic, reply to this email without changing the subject line.

Or, if you would prefer to use Live Chat visit our Help site selecting the same topic as before and once you’re on chat give us your reference number 01838814.

Thanks,

S........

The NOW TV Team

Unbelievable incompetence from support.

I would not use the service, if it was not for you guys here. I asked them the same question on 04.03.2017

Legend 5
Legend 5

To be clear @Anonymous User I was not suggesting removing card. Just confirming that the sim card definitely is not needed to work the device over WiFi. Now systems should still prevent someone watching outside UK.
@Anonymous User did you buy the phone overseas?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 wrote:
To be clear @Anonymous User I was not suggesting removing card. Just confirming that the sim card definitely is not needed to work the device over WiFi. Now systems should still prevent someone watching outside UK.
@Anonymous User did you buy the phone overseas?

@4268- yes, phone is "from EU" and the sim is "from EU". I do have another phone with UK sim, but this is Windows phone and does not have an app.

Thanks to you @4268 I've now established that despite the sim, if I select chromecast as target - I actually can still use this phone, since the chromecast device is registered as the actual playback device (and this one does not have any sims :)).

Looking forward to the F1 season now.

Thanks for helping me out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268

Aye i knew that, it was bad wording on my part 😛