cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kumnaa
Scholar

Poor Colour Compression On Large Devices

I've just recently got a Pixel C and started watching NowTV on the 10" screen rather than the TV but I can see some distortion in the colours which I've managed to get a photo of (screenshots are disabled). It's most obvious in the top left corner in the shot and when you have it big on a PC screen you can see there isn't a smooth colour gradient. When it's moving you can see it all the time, it's been especially distracting watching Agents of Shield over the last few days.

http://imgur.com/PhDDFFC

I've not noticed it before when watching on my Nexus 6 screen and no issues when it switches to the Chromecast.

I'm guessing it's because the app knows it's android and assumes a small screen so sends a lower bitrate stream through? If so, can you up the quality for large screened Android devices?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Its perfectly normal for HTML5 H264 streams on big screens and as Silverlight is only SD it gets alot worse on silverlight player...

When H264 does not detect any changes in Content, detail is dropped to save bit rate... HD content is 720p at ~3Mb/s Lossy codecs lose a lot of details when their are no sceen changes with static image... You may see Blocky effects as well using the silverlight player or Android with its SD only feed

The New Screens that are higher resolution and wider colour depth will show even more detail loss as They ZOOM pixels to fit screen size...

As SkyUK use TV Broadcast masters NOT BD masters versions as they run the Dish service you'll be limited to 720p, Untill the 4K content next year which will require the use of 8k BD mastered content downscaled to 4K, allowing the release of 4k version for Dish users...

That will allow 4K, 1080p and 720p HD versions of that content... 

As NowTV only Mirror the Dish content contracts, They will be able to bid for 1080p content of the 4K version... Very few devices that run the NowTV app even support 4K so no point them bidding for that...

The quality is limited by bitrate as is the audio... big hero 6 was not mastered with atmos audio so won't suffer as bad as other films do when streaming... DTS audio mastered so Audio is clearer after being remuxed to AAC...

Have fun...  Android is SD only... for small screens not big screens... 

Suprised the app installed... Chrome books were blocked at the last posting about them...     

Kumnaa
Scholar

That's a shame. I've found the same series on Amazon Prime so I'm watching it there without distortion.

Regarding the Pixel C, it's Google's newest android tablet.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Amazon run Android HDTV boxes so supply HD feeds to android...

All their Amazon only branded devices run on android... Fire OS is just a reskin of android.. 

NowTV don't support android HDTV boxes ( no touch screen )so don't supply HD to android yet...

Their big brother SkyUK now supports Fire tablets... so will be under even more pressure to support 720p to android...