cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV is Confused

Just got the new Vodafone Smart Ultra 7 phone with the lovely option of having the NOW TV Entertainment pack added into my deal. Only problem is every time I go to watch anything on my phone the same message keeps popping up.

' Sorry we don't support HDMI streaming to your TV from mobile devices. But don't worry, there are loads of ways to get NOW TV on your big screen. Watch it with Apple TV, Chromecast, your xbox or playstation, or the NOW TV box. Find out more at nowtv.com'.

Now this is all very nice information however Im not intrested in watching it on my TV or through any other device. I simply want to watch it on my phone like I did previous android phones. And to my knowledge I haven't set up anything to play it through my TV so whats happening here? I haven't changed any settings or anything. I can't even find any options regarding this option.
Anyone else having this problem?
Is it easy to solve?
Or have I simply been scammed?
84 REPLIES 84
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for your post.

Connecting your Android device using HDMI via TV is not one of our supported devices.

You should be able to watch it on the tablet itself though. If not, let us know what happens.

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable
hi im just waiting for a reply from your team to let me know how to get over this problem
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having given all the information of the make and spec of my tablet  and asking the team why it will not work  they have the audacity to send me a email on how to download the now tv ap    (JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I DID)  I am appalled with the email below  CHANGE YOUR ADVERTISING    by the way ive also tried a samsung tablet as well as my own  tablet and got the same message  look at my previous email and you will see what message

peter

Hi Peter,

Ref: 00878392

Thanks for contacting NOW TV.

I understand that you wish to watch NOW TV on your Tablet. I appreciate your efforts performing the updates.

I would like to inform you that you can watch NOW TV on your tablet just by downloading a NOW TV app.

It's a simple process. Go to Google store > search for NOW TV UK app > then download. Once it is downloaded, just sign in to your account and watch the contents.

Click here to download the NOW TV UK app on your Android tablet.

You can register up to 4 devices on one account and watch on 2 at the same time. Click here to know about how to manage your devices.

I see that you have NOW TV Entertainment Month Pass active on your account. You'll be able to watch the Entertainment contents on your NOW TV Box and Tablet but not on Youview Box due to live TV restrictions.

You can follow this link to know more about the devices we support.

I hope I have resolved your query today.

To contact us about this topic, reply to this email without changing the subject line.

Or, if you would prefer to use Live Chat visit our Help site selecting the same topic as before and once you’re on chat give us your reference number 00878392.

Thanks,

Kiran

The NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Down load the old APKS for catalogue sites and side load them...

Version 4.0.1 Is brand new and may have issues...

version 3.3 is older still.. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_FtpAlIlyQWEVhSFVJR1I5WUk/view?usp=sharing

Version 3.2 is older still... 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_FtpAlIlyQYk1reXg1TUdKS2c/view?usp=sharing

If these don't work your android build Is custom OS and unlikely to run any other versions...  or you have ISP Issues... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I ended up on this thread after signing up for the Movies pass and trying to use the Now TV app on my Android TV device. As others experienced, I received the message that I could not view over HDMI. I read some of the responses on this thread from Now TV/site team members with an incredulous smile.

Firstly the claim that it is because of licensing issues, caused by Now TV being oh so different by offering on-demand, live streams, and catch-up content. Utter hog-wash. Any licensing issues are caused by the incompetance of your negotiators, or those same people being deliberately obtuse. I'm going to claim however, that this excuse is an out and out lie. for the following reason:

1 - It can't be a restriction on HDMI as you can use an XBox on HDMI, and a Chromecast on HDMI.

2 - It can't be a restriction on Android with HDMI, because you can use Chrommecast on HDMI (and before anyone calls out that Chromecast runs ChromeOS, the bootloader, kernel, init scripts, binaries, are all from the Google TV - which is Android).

So this is starting to make a mockery of the licensing claim. Moreover, both the BBC and ITV allow streaming directly through HDMI. What content do they offer to stream through HDMI? On-demand, live  streams, and catch-up content. So Now TV is oh so different!

This is much like the argument over rooted devices . again something that both the BBC and ITV have understood is not an issue. No pirate in their right mind uses an Android device to copy content. I think it is high time that there was some time spent finding the truth, and I'll wager I can tell you what it really is...

When developing the apps, your organisation hired  in a security advisor (maybe the same on as Channel 4?) who didn't know their own ###### from their elbow. You were reliably informed (incorrectly) that rooted devices were less secure and should be avoided (as though you can't screen record on a non-rooted device). They also suggested HDMI should be avoided because of HDCP Scrubbers... Because a pirate is going to use a phone or tablet on a WiFi connection over using a proper Sky receiver with that HDCP Scrubber. Only in a world where the sky is pink, and pigs can fly.

So whilst the pirates carry on, completely unfazed by the lack of concern you have over using HDMI on Sky boxes, the general paying public get punished for being honest, paying customers. Is it any wonder that so many people resort to pirated materials, when you make it so difficult for paying customers to watch the content they are paying you for? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's telling about HDMI output but my tablet does not have a HDMI socket Alcatel pop 10 running lollypop 5.02 

Explan that now TV 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

It's telling about HDMI output but my tablet does not have a HDMI socket Alcatel pop 10 running lollypop 5.02 

Explan that now TV 

Out of interest, what's the make and model number of your tablet?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User that's a budget Android device, so it's possible that it came rooted, or with HDMI mirroring enabled from the manufacturer (this is normally done via the USB port, so the phone/tablet doesn't have doesn't have to have an HDMI port).

You could try checking through these steps, but other than that, I'm afraid there's nothing else we can suggest to get it working.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Your device has an MHL (Mobile High-definition Link) compatible Micro USB 2.0 port. It is possible that the OS is misinterpretting a charger as accessing the MHL functions, particularly if you are charging from a PC. Of course this does not apply if your device is not connected to any MHL/OTG/USB cables. But it is the first thing that I thought of when you mentioned the message.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My device is only conntect via bluetooth keyboard and yes although it may be a budget device, alcatel is still a decent make, and £130 notes hardly budget compared to sub £50 marketed laptops, intresting to not that a i have prestigia 3g tablet cost £89 and it works just fine, 

Maybe sky should consider stopping these restrictions because if they cannot use rooted devies and other issues that prevent it from working then they have just losse a massive amount of business 

if this is done for copyright issues etc blah blah, then why would some pay for a legal service? 

There seems to be a ever growing list of non-compatable devices vs the ones that are also android needs to get a grip too, 

But hey listen now tv, no decent android support = no sale! = no now tv