cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Latest app version

New install today of the Android app on Samsung Tablet and when trying to log in get message displayed.

Allow Now TV to make and manage phone calls. 

Basically can't login unless you accept, it's a TABLET! not a phone so now unusable.

Also you should review what app permissions this app needs access too, there's no way I'm allowing the following.

Change my calendar entries and send emails without my knowledge.?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Hi welcome to the fourm, this is just basically so that if you get a call the player will automatically pause to allow you to take the call, understandable it is a tablet, but android devices have this feature built in into their devices.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just bought the Black Friday deal and discovered I've totally wasted the only money I have to buy a years worth of onlin entertainment as there is no way on this planet I am giving NowTV permission to make phone calls from my phone. I have a compatible Android and, if I'm watching a movie, I don't want it to be interrupted by phone calls. 

How do I get my money back? I don't have a TV and the whole idea of buying the subscription was so I could watch TV and films on my phone which I now can't do. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. There's no need to worry, whilst the NOW TV app does ask for 'phone status and identity' permission this is just to allow it to work properly with your phone, so that if you get a call coming through at the same time as you're watching something the app can recognise this is happening and pause playback while you answer. The permission does not allow NOW TV to make calls or listen in on calls. You'll find that other streaming apps such as Netflix, Amazon Video, YouTube all ask for the same permission.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
The app explicitly states it is asking for permission to make phone calls
from your phone. Other apps ask for our number to help with password
recovery but they do NOT ask for permission to make calls from your phone.
I've asked for a full refund and been granted one. It's extremely
disappointing as I could never afford the package the Black Friday deal was
offering without the deal and was very excited to have Sky Movies for a year
but I will not grant a company permission to make calls from my phone.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User It's a shame you've cancelled your subscription as there's nothing sinister about the app request, although I agree the wording looks frightening. As mentioned the app needs the permission to make sure it can handle incoming calls when you are watching the app, so it can pause and resume playback after you take a call.

Unfortunately permissions get bundled together so in order to manage the call it needs to ask for the permission ot make and manage calls.

However whilst you should guard against allowing apps developed by people or companies you're not familiar with, Sky are a trusted and experienced company and there is no code in the NOW TV app will make calls on your phone.