cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is NowTV available as a download for Nvidia Shield Set Top Box ?

Does anybody know if the NowTV App is available as a download for the 'Nvidia Shield Box' as i'm very tempted to upgrade as Plex is not properly supported on the NowTV box - Also if anybody has the Nvidia Shield box with the Plex Media Server App installed, could you tell me if it has the option to 'View By Folder' as this option is missing from some versions and is very important for my personal setup.

Thanks

129 REPLIES 129
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Great tip as was not aware of that 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would love to get the nowtv on my nvidia shield. Currently I have to plug my laptop into the tv but its not up to the job, buffers alot gets very overheated. The nvidia shield is a fantastic piece of kit. NowTV should be pushing to make this available on shield

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I would love to get the nowtv on my nvidia shield. Currently I have to plug my laptop into the tv but its not up to the job, buffers alot gets very overheated. The nvidia shield is a fantastic piece of kit. NowTV should be pushing to make this available on shield

Hi @Anonymous User

Does your laptop use Windows 7 or is it using later versions of Windows?

If it uses Windows 8.1 or 10, then you can use the Windows app. This should improve your experience as the Windows app supports 720p HD playback for OnDemand content and is designed for use on Windows tablets and laptops. Although you will need a Microsoft account to download the app from the  store app on Windows. Note the Windows app will be identified as a different device by now TVs systems due to the fact that different DRM is used.

If you have Windows 7, then that means you have to use Microsoft Silverlight.

The issue with Microsoft Silverlight is that it was designed before the advent of Windows tablets and arguably before laptops became popular with consumers. Microsoft Silverlight will put quite a bit of strain on your laptop processor, which explains why your laptop is getting quite hot. Also, as Silverlight puts a lot of strain on the processor. It also would drain your laptop's battery quickly, which means in order to realistically use Silverlight. You would have to keep your laptop plugged in. Silverlight was really designed with desktop PCs in mind

I hope this is of some helpSmiley Happy

EDIT:

@4268 thumbs up for your post about chromecast above Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I do have windows 10 so I'll give the windies app a go. That's good to know about silver light commanda8 thanks for your help ☺
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Casting from my phone (pixel xl) to nvidia shield didn't work
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So to get this straight I won't be able to download a NowTV app from the play store for the Nvidea Shield but should be able cast to it via another device?

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  It is not supposed to work but you might get lucky.  If you already have a subscription you could give it a try. I would not recommend taking out a subscription if you are uncertain it works. Chromecast and Android phones/ tablets are amongst the supported devices.  Whether the Nvidia works may depend on whether your phone sees it as a chromecast device.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, i dont have a nvidia shield yet, but was planning to buy one... i currently buy day passes to watch sports (football) and watch through a browser/windows 10 app - you wonder why theres so much pirated content around! Its pretty difficult to watch it on the big screen... i left sky as i didnt want to be tied into a contract, I also dont want an additional now TV box laying around that only gives me limited content...

I though Nvidia using android TV would give that flexibility but apparently there a difference between the mobile play store and TV...

Baxk to the drawing board then!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

amazon just added official support to the shield

i have to use the ps4 which the remote doesnt work for...

please please ask the overlords to reconsider support for shield and/or sony (id like to get a sony oled...)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep, Amazon just added support for Shield, come on NowTV, it's your turn Now.