cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is NowTV available as a download for Nvidia Shield Set Top Box ?

Does anybody know if the NowTV App is available as a download for the 'Nvidia Shield Box' as i'm very tempted to upgrade as Plex is not properly supported on the NowTV box - Also if anybody has the Nvidia Shield box with the Plex Media Server App installed, could you tell me if it has the option to 'View By Folder' as this option is missing from some versions and is very important for my personal setup.

Thanks

129 REPLIES 129
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just cancelled my movies and entertainment pass as I've had enough of waiting for support on Android TV.

I'll just use netflix and amazon instant instead.

I know there's casting, but when the kids are at home they don't want to get a phone out, run an app cast it when there's plenty to see by just picking up a remote.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Sky have always been very pro-active when it comes to copyright protection.

And as it's way to easy to disable HDCP on Android devices and capture the media stream, it's fairly obvious that Sky/NOW TV wont be opening-up that Pandora's box anytime soon 😉

That is a very lame excuse, although it is true that HDCP can be disabled easily on Android it would also be very simple for the app to detect that and not play anything.

I'd love to move to Nvidia Shield and NowTV is the only thing making me stick with my behmoth of an Xbox One (my gaming is all on PC these days, which I could stream with a Shield).

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Essentially HDCP is a mandatory requirement for any hardware playback device that is fitted with an HDMI output port. It should not be disableable (if that's a real word) in the first place...

If the HDMI emmiter chip-set within the hardware playback device can't be made secure, you can bet that Sky wont touch it!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Strange that Netflix, Amazon, HBO, Hulu, etc etc don't seem worried. HBO (who make the content) are less worried than sky (who license it). You can watch the same content on e.g. Google play if you wait...

So clearly not a piracy issue...

However some (sky) see nvidia/Amazon/others as competitors to roku (which is owned by sky).

So it's a sky political decision.
My subscription lapses in June. Can't see the point in renewing as i disagree with this policy which discriminates against customer demand.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Even stranger that shortly after posting now TV stopped working on my phone(error 9). It's been working fine for months and no recent updates. To make sure i wasn't going crazy i reinstalled app and then wiped the phone. Before you ask no it's not a rooted phone. Yes i have approved use of the phone at startup. Removed the old android devices on the account and it sees this one properly. No problems on service status.

It says to contact online support ... Which points to this forum.

Not usually a conspiracy theorist but annoying timing. There goes 3 remaining paid for subscription months.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So still no Shield TV support?

And still no fix to the 'Chromecast' support issue when casting to the Shield TV?

Is it possible to watch NowTV if all you have is an (old but working) Sony TV, Shield TV and an iPad?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well it's now July 2017 and still no NOW TV app for the shield. Poor.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just had a now tv app update on my iPhone and now movies are casting from my phone to the nvdia shield, happy days
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can confirm this is working now on the latest Android app as well.  Sitting watching it now via casting to shield TV 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately, doesn't work for me, just left with a screen saying ready to cast and the little blobs going around on my phone/tablet. Tried to cast from 2 devices, the same thing happens on both...