cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromebook

Does anyone know when NowTv will be available on Chromebooks ?? Surely this a small development piece to roll out to a new platform, especially seeing as it's Google??
2 REPLIES 2
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

My guess is because Chrome browser itself isn't supported. 

I wish a Fire TV app would come out myself. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
Does anyone know when NowTv will be available on Chromebooks ?? Surely this a small development piece to roll out to a new platform, especially seeing as it's Google??

NOW TV will not run within the Chrome browser because it uses "Silverlight" for media playback. This technology is not supported by lots of browsers and is no longer supported by Microsoft itself (who developed it). Microsoft have encouraged companies that have developed something that relies on Silverlight to move away from it and use HTML5 media playback instead (as this is now the industry standard way and fully supported by the vast majority of browsers). In time, Sky will have to move to HTML5 but who knows what the timescales are on that.

If your Chromebook supports Android Apps then you can install the app from the Play Store and use it like you are using a tablet. Unfortunately, on my Chromebook, once the video playback changes from SD to HD, the video suffers from noticeable stutter. I don't know if this is due to limitations with regards my Chromebook (only 2Gb RAM and an Intel processor) or just that it still isn't fully compatible with how Android runs on a Chromebook. NOW TV don't support the App running on a Chromebook yet so if it doesn't work for you either then no point complaining just yet until it is supported. Every time there is an update to Chrome OS (or the Android sub system) or a new version of the NOW TV app, I try video playback again to see if it works properly but no joy just yet.