cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Change stream quality

When watching on my phone now tv uses over 1 gb per episode. Any chance that the app can have different streaming quality available so I co8ld choose SD or HD. Or can be set as HE when connected to Wi-Fi only ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. There was some discussion about this recently on the fourm, and unfortuntaely currently there is no way to choose bitrate of streams on the mobile apps (about the only thing you can do is switch to 3G only, but if you are in a good 3G area you're still going to be pulling a lot of data). NOW TV use adaptive bitrate streams so they will automatically adjust to the best quality your connection is able to provide, but this isn't always what you want when you are using a mobile device, so I agree an option to choose SD only when on mobile data would be a sensible option.

I'll suggest to the NOW TV team that your post be added to the Ideas Board on the forum so that other users can vote and comment on the idea. 

@Simon-J could this be added to the Ideas Board if you think it's approriate? cheers. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. There was some discussion about this recently on the fourm, and unfortuntaely currently there is no way to choose bitrate of streams on the mobile apps (about the only thing you can do is switch to 3G only, but if you are in a good 3G area you're still going to be pulling a lot of data). NOW TV use adaptive bitrate streams so they will automatically adjust to the best quality your connection is able to provide, but this isn't always what you want when you are using a mobile device, so I agree an option to choose SD only when on mobile data would be a sensible option.

I'll suggest to the NOW TV team that your post be added to the Ideas Board on the forum so that other users can vote and comment on the idea. 

@Simon-J could this be added to the Ideas Board if you think it's approriate? cheers. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I use mobile Wi-fi boxes and have a 4K tv. I will probably cancel my trial because of this as it uses far too much data.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

From what I understand, with regard to portable devices with 'built-in' screens, the bit-rate you receive is related to your devices screen resolution. There's no global method to reduce the in-coming data-rate.

EDIT: Looks like Andy has beaten me to it. By-the-way @Anonymous User... What the make and model number of your phone?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Samsung s6. On EE.  Streaming on 4g network  

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Thanks @Anonymous User,

I can see from it's specification that your S6 has a screen resolution of 2560x1440 pixels. Which means you'll always get the higher bit-rate.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too would like the option to watch in standard definition on my iPad if at all possible and with Sky Go!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok I haven't tested this and it's a bit of a sticky plaster patch if it works but here goes. Samsung 8 7 and I believe 6 all have the ability to reduce screen resolution in the settings from 1480x720 all the way up to 2560x1440 would the lower resolution be low enough to lower the bit rate and also would the app even see the resolution change if so could this solve your issue