cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Android TV / Nexus Player

Hi,

Are there plans to develop the UI for Android TV? I know I can Cast from the Android app on my phone, but this is awkward. 

Given various issues with the service (such as the adaptive bit rate / low quality problem which has been mentioned hundreds of times on the forums and the unfathomable restriction on adding new devices(?!?)), I am reluctant to use it for much longer. Making the app avaliable on Android TV would go some way in keeping me. 

Many thanking yous, 

James

35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Google seam to have taken the same stance as "other" HDTV addon devices and that is of app developers "Re-agreeing" their stance on how you app has to work on their device... For example they have not even Re-built there own Chrome android browser for how Android Big screen must work... Showing that even they are not rushing to build even there own apps to the devices requirements...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

any update on when there might be a Now TV app for 'Android TV'?

thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

Although we are always looking at new devices to support, there is currently no update on this.

Thanks,

Rich

The NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

In case they aren't sure what to do to support Android TV here is some information http://developer.android.com/training/tv/start/index.html specifically this section http://developer.android.com/training/tv/start/start.html

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Could we get a time line for Android TV support? 

It ludicrus that a Chromecast counts as a device when the casting phone already does, that and the lack of GoogleCast support (esp. Nvidia Shield TV). 

Sooner you get your act together and provide a fully intergrtaed Android TV experiance the better.. and yes the Entertainment Live Streams should be 'Live TV compatable). 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User how would watching via a dedicated app compared to casting be any different in counting devices? Both result in you watching through your TV. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have multiple devices that may cast to multiple ChromeCast / GoogleCast Devices. 

As a native Android TV application I would not need to install it on my other devices at all. Not that ChromeCast should be counted, plus casting to the application on the TV would not count as an additional device. 

Saying that, the whole number of devices added a month is also rediculas. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have multiple devices that may cast to multiple ChromeCast / GoogleCast Devices. 

@Anonymous User I have four devices which can cast to my Chromecast, my mobile which I already watch NOW TV on, but also my daughters rubbish Samsung, my wifes iPhone and my rooted Nook HD+. The latter 3 don't count to my allowance because the don't watch NOW TV on them directly.

The Chromecast isn't just a mirror of your phone, it's a contained OS with a media player handling DRM, which like a NOW TV box, PS4, LG TV or a nvidia Shield with a sideloaded NOW TV app is a device which you watch on. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Your comment just provided the issue with the limitation.

And you are incorrect with your justification for the ChromeCast / GoogleCast device taking a device slot, it is a dumb device that cannot access the service without the link for streaming being provided by an alternative device (Casting is not mirroring, although this would be a work around).

If you did want to actually use your 4 devices, you would not be able to cast at home.. also you would be unable to cast to a device at will. It’s annoying and very restrictive for those with multiple ChromeCast or GoogleCast capable devices. The other devices can all access the service without an alternative device.

Your recommendation for sideloading is a not an adequate solution, I also suspect it is against NOW TV T&C's, especially as you have to obtain the APK from alternative source...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Come on guys. There is clearly an interest in getting Now TV on Android TV.

Why are we still waiting? 😕