cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Android TV / Nexus Player

Hi,

Are there plans to develop the UI for Android TV? I know I can Cast from the Android app on my phone, but this is awkward. 

Given various issues with the service (such as the adaptive bit rate / low quality problem which has been mentioned hundreds of times on the forums and the unfathomable restriction on adding new devices(?!?)), I am reluctant to use it for much longer. Making the app avaliable on Android TV would go some way in keeping me. 

Many thanking yous, 

James

35 REPLIES 35
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear you've seen low quality when using chromecast. Device limits means you can only add a new device per month once you hit your full 4, should you hit a problem we can always review this for you.

As of right now we have no information on Android TV should this change any updates will be posted on our Forum.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the reply about Android TV.

I appreciate you cannot change this overnight, but I'd like to take the opportunity to leave feedback regarding the device limit; it is mindblowingly short sighted. I understand limiting the concurrent streams, but limiting me to adding one device a month is an needless inconvenience detrimental to your service. 

I think, for now at least, I will not be continuing my subscription the for reasons mentioned. 

Kind regards

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

We really do appreciate your feedback, limits are there in line with agreements and licensing , however we know the current system isn't always clear and can be frustrated and it's certainly something we're looking at improving where we can. 

We'd be sad to see you leave James but do understand your frustrations. 

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Simon,

I appreciate there are licensing constraints and that occasionally this is out of your control. I do think it was more than clear before I subscribed that there is a limt on the number of devices, and this almost stopped me subscribbing all together if I'm honest, but I thought it'd give it a go anyway.

Given that people do often have a tablet, a phone, a TV in the living room and one in the bedroom, it's a shame there is no more room for other devices. In this scenario my partner cannot use the app from her phone with the intention of casting to Chromecast or Android TV. 

Thank you for noting my feedback. I will look forward to resubscribing at a later date.

🙂

edit: The limit of four devices need not be a real issue if it wasn't for the month wait between adding or removing them. What if my phone or tablet is lost and replaced? I'm paying for a service that I temporarily can't use without contacting yourselves?

edit again: sorry, I think misunderstanding the device limit conditions. I'll re-read it all later. My apologies.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
edit: The limit of four devices need not be a real issue if it wasn't for the month wait between adding or removing them. What if my phone or tablet is lost and replaced? I'm paying for a service that I temporarily can't use without contacting yourselves?

One of the reasons for the limit is to stop people from "leasing" their spare devices. I could give my access to 7 different friends, one each day of the week, and they would all be able to keep up with Game of Thrones. Charge them each a pound, and I have a 1p profit.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I get that, and it's highly unlikely to affect profits. In fact, I could do that now with my fourth device, so it's a non argument. Limiting the number of concurrent streams makes sense, limiting the number of devices does not. 

No other similar service has weird restrictions. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

In fact, I could do that now with my fourth device, so it's a non argument.

But you can't pass it around, as you've discovered the device change limit stops you after the first change of the month.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good god. 

It's no wonder people pirate TV shows and movies, is it?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there any update to this, do we know if (and when) there will be a Now TV App for Android TV.  I've a Nexus Player (Android TV  [5.1.1]) which is my daily driver, viewing local videos (via Plex) and using NetFlix for video streaming. I'd like to sign-up to NowTV, but if I can't use it on my Nexus Player, it's a no-go.