cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Android/Chromecast or Now TV Box?

I'm trying Now TV on a marginal (2.5MB) internet connection and the while the picture quality is not consistent on an Android tablet it's mostly watchable, however when I cast to my ChromeCast it becomes unwatchable, along with the documented play/pause issues.

My question; if I buy a Now TV Box and connect directly to my TV, is the picture quality likely to be better?

9 REPLIES 9
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User I used to have very poor WiFi with previous provider. Now box worked fine for me. If you can use Ethernet to maximise internet signal.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 wrote:
Hi @Anonymous User I used to have very poor WiFi with previous provider. Now box worked fine for me. If you can use Ethernet to maximise internet signal.

Yes, wherever it is reasonably possible to do so ethernet should always be used over and above Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi should only be really used if you have absolutely no choice. Particularly as the equipment ISPs tend to give people is rubbish and is even sometimes locked down so you're not able to change the necessary settings (Wi-Fi channel) in order to get Wi-Fi to work correctly.

In order for Wi-Fi to work reasonably well your Wi-Fi router/access point needs to be on a separate Wi-Fi channel to neighbouring routers . Most people even if they have the ability to change it will just leave the Wi-Fi channel on auto which can sometimes be a bad idea

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 wrote:

Thanks, I don't have a problem with the Wi-Fi signal, I have an access point inches from where I would place the Now TV Box, my issue is my internet speed from the telephone exchange to my house.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

..I have an access point inches from where I would place the Now TV Box..

Shame you can't establish a 'wired' eternet connection Smiley Sad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Shame you can't establish a 'wired' eternet connection Smiley Sad

I don't have a problem with my Wi-Fi network, I can cast Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer etc perfectly from my tablet to the ChromeCast, it's only Now TV that is unwatchable.

I get a stable 145Mb Wi-Fi connection to the access point near where I would site the Now TV box.

I have a Now TV box on it's way to me, so I hope my 2.5Mb internet connection is fast enough.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

To answer my own question, a Now TV box is significantly better than casting from a tablet to a ChromeCast but as suggested it needs a wired connection.

Having said that, the Now TV channels have a much worse picture quality than iPlayer or ITV hub through the box.

Apart from Sky's servers not up to the job, anyone any idea why? 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Lif wrote: 

Depending on the source content, I'm seeing good looking images on my 65" 4K display...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Your broadband speeds as you mentioned above. NOW TV use adaptive bitrates and will drop the quality if they find you dropping packets.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Your broadband speeds as you mentioned above. NOW TV use adaptive bitrates and will drop the quality if they find you dropping packets.

I understand that but would that explain why the NOW TV content is lower quality than that from BBC and ITV through the same box?

I can get pretty much, perfect pictures from NetFlix and iPlayer in my 48" Sony HD TV, via the same AP and modem.