cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

username and password for vdsl settings third party router

just connected my tp-link ac1200 router.

used http://www.ph-mb.com/products/sky-calc

entered lan mac of nowtv hub2 and selected sagem fast modem.

entered the ppp username and ppp password into tp-link sky vdsl mer option.

and now i have my own router fully working,

32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any help please. I am not too familiar with routers, hubs and modems.

The set up I have because I took out a NowTV Broadband package. is as follows:-

Phone line connected to the hub they sent me.

I use my computer that is hard wired to the Ethernet sockect on the NowTV Hub.

I use TV on a Wi Fi connection.

I use other devices such as a laptop and smart phone with Wi Fi to the same hub.

I also have a Wi Fi connection from my Hive Home heating hub.

I have just purchased a Synology NAS for use as an extra storage device and home server.

I had to buy a multi-Switch as I needed one more hard wired connection to the NowTV hub.

The issues I have are that the NAS set-upn requires Port Forwarding and I cannot see a way to access the NowTV hub to allow this to be addressed and actioned. Synology said I need to seek advice from NOW TV. I cannot find answers on Google regarding this.

Any help? please keep it simple !! I get a bit confused on Mac Addressing, Port Forwarding, Port 80 and the likes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Did you find a solution to getting your router set up on Now TV?

I have TP Link Vr400 Ac1200

I have no idea what I'm doing lol 

So many threads but it's all jargon to me & really dont know where to start?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No luck yet, gave up with Now TV hub, will be changing over to a Synology router tomorrow. Then try that, all gobbly ###### to me. These NAS systems are so far removed from the glossy advertised 'plug 'n play' Online help is ok but takes 2 days for every question. What you really need is someone qualified to take over your PC online and set it up for you once you briefed them in how you want it to function.

Barry

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Maybe this link will help with regards to port forwarding ?

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/How-to-set-up-port-forwarding/ba-p/2662260 

The NowTV Hub Router is a clone of the Sky Router.

I am assuming the Sky instructions is based on the NowTV Hub 2 equivalent.

Instead of using sky has the password use nowtv instead.

Should you get stuck, hold in the reset button on the back of the NowTV Router for about 10 seconds to default the Router back to it's default settings.

I won't be much further help because i am more into AV rather than IT or Networking and left my NowTV Hub Router in it's factory shipped settings with only some minor adjustments.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you Schnapps, might give that a try but the procedure does look quite daunting. The new Synology router has only just arrived, so not sure whether to give your suggestion a try before I inbox this new device.

Thanks again
Show quoted text
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @schnapps  (for info)

Hi BB

Reading through your posts have me stumped, I say this as a NAS user, because I have to ask, why would a (Synology) NAS insist on being set-up with port forwarding?

NASes, on the whole, are not easy to set-up, this is further compounded by the NAS user manuals leaving out crucial information and, above all, easy to follow instructions. Also, rather than going to Synology Help-desk for help you should make contact with the customer user forum, you should be able to find a NAS enthusiast that will be able to walk you through your set-up problems and maybe confirm whether port forwarding is really required or it's something that leads to an extra complicated feature that you can honestly do without.

For myself, I have three NASes that will allow me to communicate with them when I'm out and about, i.e listen to music, update data on the move and even start off full backups.  But in all honesty, is doing any of that really necessary?  For me it is definitely not, and BTW I like to use KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) when dealing with computer stuff.

Just thought, you're probably trying to get your new NAS to communicate with Synology's online servers so that it can set itself up, e.g. registration, update the OS, download approved software and other stuff like that. Still don't see the need for port forwarding.

Anyway, do try the user forum.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bobby, I purchased the NAS from Synology as I thought that would be the best bet for my future use. Basically 50% of my 4 X4 Tb disk station to use for my large volume of photos and other files to be accessible from anywhere there is a internet connection. The other 50% of the system is for my wife's small business where she will need access for a variety of different users and customers. This will need to be a secure system with a Https URL address. I was led to believe that I need port forwarding a certificate and other set ups. For Local connections using just ordinary LAN is quite adequate and works well using Synology own quick connect from anywhere with a good internet signal, however that is not secure enough for business use. Plus the Synology's default ports 5000 and 5001 are well known ports for hacking. Also business users would not be happy with a non secure HTTP address. Thanks for your interest, I hope it does not become to much more complicated.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi again BB

I get it now, you will need the full security features to keep your information safe but still accessible.

Unfortunately, security + accessibility = complication.

Good luck

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Outstanding. This post is the exact advice I was looking for and didn't even need Wireshark to get what I needed. Thank you, numptysnowtv for taking the time to share.

To answer the question about which MAC address to use; it is indeed the LAN MAC that's needed.

This method worked for my TP-Link  AC1900 router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm not having any joy finding the username or password. I have tried  http://www.ph-mb.com/products/sky-calc; for the Now Tv 2 hub, which router type do i use as this is obviously for SKY routers? I have got the MAC address (I logged into my NowTV account and found the LAN MAC address in there). Is the serial number the one on the back of my router?