cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RufusMcDufus
Mentor

Switching to Now TV - wish to delay start date

Hi - I've ordered a switch to Now TV.  My current provider is Sky.  When ordering with Now I didn't get the option of specifying a start date. Now says the go-live day will be 24 Jan, but my old contract ends 3 Feb so I'll incur early termination fees from Sky.

Is it possible to set a start date to coincide with the end of my old broadband contract?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RufusMcDufus
Mentor

OK, so I heard back from Sky by letter.  I won't incur any early termination charges for this transfer.

I guess as I'm already fully paid-up for the final month there are no charges, which is good news and makes it easier.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RufusMcDufus 

Best to give the team a call in the morning to find out.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

How to submit your complaint:

• Give us a call on 08007591213 to speak directly to a NOW advisor.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RufusMcDufus
Mentor

Cheers - I'll do that. I was just putting it out there in case it's a common question.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RufusMcDufus 

It’s something I think could be done, although looking through the help section doesn’t really give you a definitive answer.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/i-ve-ordered-now-broadband-what-happens-next

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RufusMcDufus 

My understanding is that it's a set 14 day lead in time frame to switch providers if no home engineer visit is required and you cannot pick a date of your choice.

Therefore you need to sign up to NOW Broadband 14 days prior to your Sky Broadband contract is coming to the end.

Anyway give the NOW Broadband Team a call after 8am tomorrow and they will confirm if there is any flexibility with the date and if it's possible you can specify & ask the switch over date of your choice.

RufusMcDufus
Mentor

Many thanks - I'll do that. I'm reluctant to cancel and then re-order in a week or so, but that might be the best option.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RufusMcDufus 

Don't cancel the existing order and see what the NOW Broadband Team say tomorrow if they can delay the switch over date of your choice.

I only mentioned the fixed 14 day lead in time from date of the online order, because that's what NOW say to customers on their NOW Twitter feed.

Hopefully they can sort you out.

Let us know what they say.

Cheers.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't see how they can charge an early termination fee if your in your last month of a contract.

You have paid for that month so If you don't use all of it that is surely up to you.

All I think they can do is not give a refund for the unused time, although I suspect they will probably do so.

ETFs are normally calculated as "number of months remaining x a set figure" so you won't have any months remaining if you are in the final month.

RufusMcDufus
Mentor

I'd like to think this was the case, otherwise pretty much everyone would be having this issue whenever they switch.  I'm tempted to just leave it and see what happens. Sky support on Twitter did say I'd be liable for early termination fees, but ...   The amounts don't look huge anyway, it's more the principle.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RufusMcDufus 

Did you call Now broadband and ask them to move your activation date ?

I'm in the same boat as you , moving from Plusnet broadband,  but my contract end date is 05 February. 

I haven't applied for Now broadband yet, so was wondering if they would delay the start date.