cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gofer
Advocate

Not allowed to keep phone number.

Placed order a week ago by phone with no problems...all line checks went through OK.
Awaiting router and noticed monthly price had reduced so I phoned to see if I could get that deal.
Was then told my order had been cancelled because I had wanted to keep my current landline number and "because I'm currently with SKY they will not allow me to keep my number"
Was told that in order to join NOW BB I will need to be allocated a new landline number.
Is this common practice?

Extract from email....

"During our telephone discussion, i confirmed to you that your order for NOW Broadband was rejected and this was due to the fact you wanted to port your landline from SKY to NOW. Out technology does not enable us to port sky number overs to now broadband. "

(I am aware that Now is part of the SKY group)

11 REPLIES 11
chilli2
Elite

you should be able to do this if you sign up online, beware though that you need to check everything carefully as one of the options to keep landline number is hidden - that is for a  standard analogue voice service.

Did / Does your Sky phone number work via digital voice/sky talk - that is the phone plugs into the back of the router , or is it a standard analogue service where the phone plugs into a phone socket

Gofer
Advocate

Phone line has not been upgraded so it's the old-fashioned wall socket.
I tried to sign up online but got so far and then was told to phone.
My initial order, via phone, went through OK

Gofer
Advocate

Phone line has not been upgraded so it's the old-fashioned wall socket.
I tried to sign up online but got so far and then was told to phone. I had passed the screen that asks if you want to keep your landline and was told that I could.
It was at the screen to put in card details that I was redirected to phone.
My initial order, via phone, went through OK

chilli2
Elite

If i remember correctly theres an easy to miss  bit where you have to put your landline(phone) number in again in a not very obvious place

Gofer
Advocate

I have done all of what you have suggested.

My point is that it appears that because I'm moving from Sky to Now, Sky won't actually allow my current number to be ported.

I can input my number online and go through all the rest of the sign up details but it appears Sky are blocking the number being shifted.

Jayach
Elite 3

I suspect someone may be telling porkies. Contact Sky and ask if what you have been told is true.

Had you been transferred to digital voice on Sky, it might make sense, as transferring a number back to the PSTN (Public switched telephone network) is apparently a problem.

Gofer
Advocate

I did message Sky who confirmed that for whatever reason I cannot switch to NOW and keep my current landline number.

"You can't transfer a number between Sky & Now as we are part of the same network."

Thanks, Laura

Jayach
Elite 3

@Gofer wrote:

"You can't transfer a number between Sky & Now as we are part of the same network."

You would have thought that would make it easier, It's really just a paperwork change.

chilli2
Elite

a google search for "port phone number form sky to now broadband" shows that you are not the only one to have this issue, and it also appears that whoever it was that told you this is talking rubbish

see here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6345032/transfer-landline-number-from-sky-to-now-tv

here

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/cannot-port-existing-landline-number-with-sky-to-other-provid...

and more.

There is one thing that may cause an issue - and that is if you cancel your service with Sky and/or it has been ceased , if the service with Sky has been cancelled/ceased then it can be very hard to get the number back