cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Moving: transfer of service date

Hi all,

I am moving this week, but Now TV says it needs a full 2 weeks to transfer their service, so I'll be in my new place for a week without phone or internet. Is it possible to have that transfer happen sooner?

I would have thought it was as easy as flicking a switch.

Anyone else had a similar situation?

I know phone and internet aren't as essential as electricity and water, but when you're moving, particularly to a remote area, it is very useful indeed.
6 REPLIES 6
Graham-S
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:
Hi all,

I am moving this week, but Now TV says it needs a full 2 weeks to transfer their service, so I'll be in my new place for a week without phone or internet. Is it possible to have that transfer happen sooner?

I would have thought it was as easy as flicking a switch.

Anyone else had a similar situation?

I know phone and internet aren't as essential as electricity and water, but when you're moving, particularly to a remote area, it is very useful indeed.

Hey Radiaz, Good day Smiley Happy

If only it was a flick of a switch our job would be alot easier lol

That 2 weeks timescale is set by Openreach to allow work etc to be done by engineers and so. We don't have the ability to adjust the date Smiley Sad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah, that makes more sense. I wasn't given a clear explanation when I called before. It sounded like it was just a case of, "we won't" rather than "we can't".

Is the 2 weeks a maximum? Or is it possible it might be ready early, if the work done behind the scenes by engineers is done sooner than expected?

Thanks for the quick response.
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User if someone in your home has a priority need then phone companies can get open reach to prioritise the call. For example an elderly/ infirm person with a telecare need. You would however need to show this was the case. Unfortunately for you a rural location is not regarded as a priority. It is who not where that makes a difference.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Again, this is useful information that hasn't been shared with me. And although we wouldn't qualify, it is still useful to know. Thanks!
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I only know because my partner's dad is a vulnerable adult due to dementia. It is not widely known.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the same problem, I got in touch quite early on and was told that in order to have internet at the new place when we moved in, we would have to go without interenet for 2 weeks before we moved out of our old place. 

This seemed very bizare to me, as we're obviously paing for a month's worth of interenet - so why they don't allow some overlap (keep our internet running at our old place until it's ready at the new place I can't understand).

Since I was on a month-2-month contract I just gave notice to cancel my contract at the end of the month, and then set up a new account at the new property meaning that we had interent right up until our move date and as soon as we moved in. With an overlap of about 3 days. It shows it's perfectly possible to do but for some reason Now TV have convinced themselves that the only way to switch propoerties is to leave you without internet (which you've paid for) for a fortnight.