cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
black-bobby
Mentor

Line disconnection after porting number out

Hi, I've ported  my number away to a voip service and the number has transferred yesterday. I'm just wondering when the line will go dead as it still has a dial tone. i was under the impression the line would cease to exist. anyone with experience of this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@black-bobby 

When my phone was switched from analog to voip last year, the old line remained active for quite a few hours. I could dial out using either the old line or the voip line. That is, until the OpenReach engineer pulled the plug either in the street cabinet or the exchange.

So, no need to worry. When the disconnection gets to the top of the engineer’s job list, your old line will be disconnected - if it hasn’t been already.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
redchiz1
Champion 2

Have you tested e.g. dialling in/out on VoIP; ditto on the old circuit?

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@black-bobby 

When my phone was switched from analog to voip last year, the old line remained active for quite a few hours. I could dial out using either the old line or the voip line. That is, until the OpenReach engineer pulled the plug either in the street cabinet or the exchange.

So, no need to worry. When the disconnection gets to the top of the engineer’s job list, your old line will be disconnected - if it hasn’t been already.

black-bobby
Mentor

Spot on Mark, best i can tell it was 26 hours before the line ceased. Was just worrying about paying two bills forever

Jayach
Elite 3

I'm not sure the phone will just stop working, more likely it will just get a new number.

As far as I know, the service Now use requires a phone number to supply it.

New lines use SOGEA (Single Order Generic Ethernet Access) so don't have a phone number associated.

Do let us know what happens, as I said, I'm not sure.

chilli2
Elite

As far as I know porting a number is seen as a cease on the line, that is all services linked to that number will cease including any internet/ broadband service that is delivered over that line.

A new number will only be provided with a new order on that line for new phone and/ or internet services with whatever internet/ phone company  you contact with.

If the number currently has now broadband or any other internet service, that service will stop, and you may/ will be charged an early termination fee if you are in a minimum term contract

Jayach
Elite 3

@black-bobby 

Did you have broadband on the line, and did that cease along with the phone service?

black-bobby
Mentor

Yes i had broadband, so everything ceased on completion of the port process.  Would have happily stayed with Now if they offered g.fast. I know that technology is no longer being invested in but my exchange is g.fast enabled. 

Jayach
Elite 3

Thanks for letting us know, so porting a number does cease the broadband as @chilli2 says.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@black-bobby 

Just a wee bit confused, have you actually cancelled your NOW broadband service?